Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Feeling Grounded

I've done several searches for adding a hyper ground system to my 87 GL10t with little or no luck. I would like to know the exact mounting locations of the grounds I should add. I have done a "Daisy Chain" on my VW and noticed a definate increase in power, but my friend grounded his soob and blew his alternator (still undetermined if the two were interrelated, I don't think so...but he does).

Has anyone else that has done this noticed a power change in their soob? Just curious.

yes, it can have a stabilizing sort of effect on your system.

there is no exact spot to do it. stock locations have one from the battery to the engine and (at the same spot) the engine to the frame, and also from the tranny up to the frame at the side of the spare tire support (passenger's side i think) .. also, the main engine harness usually grounds to a bolt on the intake somewhere.

all you have to do are make sure those locations are clean and can get good contact, and add additional grounds from the engine and from the trans to the frame. anywhere on the frame is OK.

i dont know how you would feel an increase in power unless you had grounding issues before you started.
My VW is a drive by wire, which can be affected by static noise from various other electronics in the car. A better word for it would be it smoothed out and increased throttle response which makes the car feel faster, in many cases increases effeciency producing more useable power.

Your alt, VW ,puts out three phase AC which is rectified into DC, if you added a ground and felt like there was more power then like Arch. said you had alt issues, ie less than perfect rectifier or alt. Interference on drive by wires is mostly a myth. Wires are shielded and 14vdc is not going to produce much problems if any. I sometimes work on substations and 28,800 vac isn't causing problems on the vehichles we use and some are drive by wire.

As for your stereo add a capacitor or a second battery hooked up PARALEL, or however the heck it's spelt.

Bonding [what adding ground connections is actually called] is good, but for a stereo system over 500 watts rms you will want more power.

If your volts into your amp is on the low side you may get clipping, sometime it's barely audible.

There is a good thread on adding a GM alt to your sube, sounds really straight forward.

Good luck.

When re-doing, or adding for that matter, the ground wires on your vehicle. Make a trip to your local hardware store first. Get some star-lock washers to use on the bolts, one below terminal, one above terminal, under bolt head. Star-lock washers have multiple teeth on them ( sorta like ////// all the way around), and will bite-in better, giving a better contact.

Words of wisdom passed down to me by an Automotive Electrical Guru.