Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil pressure - ea82

Usually between 0 and 10 psi at idle...around 3k it should be close to 45...+/- 10 psi.

Atleast...thats what all of my RX's have read at...

edit: Ofcourse, COLD psi should be above 45 psi at any RPM range...but 2000+ cold should be closer to 85 then 45.

What is the oil pressure gauge suppose to read at idle? How about 3000 rpm?

BTW I have analog gauges....

My shop manual says the oil pressure spec for the EA82 is 43lb @ 5000rpm. And I know the owners manual notes that the gauge showing near 0 at idle is normal. If it doesn't tick after warm up its probably OK.

Gary

Ticking HVLAs? (Hydrualic Valve Lash Adjusters)

The way to solve those is to first replace the oil pump seals. The "mickey mouse" gasket, the oring and...i think there was one more but I cant be 100% sure. Also to run some high oil detergent additives and engine flush before changing the oil...and change it reguarly.

Castrol 10w30 Dino oil works best in these engines. Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic works even better than that.

Another way to solve it is to take the cam cases off so you can get to the followers and HVLAs. Take them out and rebuild them. But...thats a good bit of work...and if you are going to do that, might as well pull the whole engine and buy a full engine gasket kit from SUBARU, and tear the engine down and clean it religiously, and replace every single gasket on the engine. That would add about 200k+ miles of silent rock steady service to the engine.

ok..thats my 3 cents... :drunk: