Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Soob depression"

Don't get me wrong, I love my 90 loyale. The problem it seems is that I am putting a couple hundred dollars every few months into it for a constant flow of different problems. Brakes, cv joints, tune ups, leaking gaskets, timing belt, wheel bearings, leaking gaskets, a/c, alignment, leaking gaskets, etc. You get the idea. I am not that mechanically inclined and I do not have a garage in which I can park my car and work on it properly. I'm just wondering is it worth it for me to keep this car? It runs good for a car as old as it is, but I sure would like a legacy with an automatic. Any feedback would be appreciated, I think I am in "soob depression" with the latest "noise" coming from my car and the thought that I am almost making a car payment every other month it seems keeping it fixed.

Nah... a couple of hundred every few months won't equal a car payment, plus property/excise tax, insurance, interest on a loan... my $@#&^% 2004 Hyundai Elantra GT costs way more than that. Know your "enemy"... you know what's right with it and you can probably predict what's going next... the math is easy from that standpoint. Once I'm comfortable with the reconstruction of my Brat... the Hyundai is GONE! Whoooosh! No looking back!

you're the only one who can make the financial decision. the subaru itself should last along time. seems you are having more than average problems for your vehicle, is it super high mileage? if you're taking it to a shop - are you sure they are 100 percent reliable? i've put over 300,000 miles on XT6's and i've never had wheel bearings or brakes fail (i've never even replaced rotors) and 3 of those had 200,000 or more miles including my daily driver. the shop you take it too may be fixing items that don't need attention. with the calipers, wheel bearings and timing belts done you should be getting close to reliable. hopefully...with a good mechanic your water pump (and oil pump, but i bet they didn't) should have been addressed with the timing belt.

older cars can be tough to maintain if you don't keep on top of it. for someone who is paying someone else to do the work (which i never do)...but i would recommend either keeping the car you got or getting something with very low mileage (almost new). why? because if you get an older car you're looking at timing belts, water pump and all that other stuff all over again. not really gaining anything over where you're at now. and i never recommend buying new cars.

i'd try to have a plan of attack over the next year. replace (or have rebuilt) the alternator, starter, battery, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil and fuel pump. say...do one of these every month or every other month or all at once if you'd like. save some money by finding a decent place to rebuild your alternator and starter which would be much cheaper than buying new. these are critical items that may be nearing their lifespan. keep your old ones as spares or sell them for a few dollars to get some of your money back. you should be able to replace all of these for say - 250-400 dollars off the top of my head. i'd replace any of the above items well before replacing a CV boot myself. i have driven 50,000 miles on a broken CV boot, doesn't hurt anything (stay out of sand and other extremly gritty material). if it starts clicking while yo'ure driving straight then start thinking about replacing it. but those other items are much more important in terms of reliability.

good luck whatever you choose,

I know how exactly how you feel...but I agree with Gary. My Loyale has a nice long list of repairs it is in need of...but I just cant afford them all right now. But I asked myself these few questions: Has my car ever let me sit somewhere? No. Can I afford another car? No. If I could, could I guarentee that it will be better than what I have? No.

Leaky gaskets on a Loyale is the norm....most of us just learn to live with them until they get way to bad or we have another repair to do that is in the general location of the ones leaking.

I also feel Gary has a point with the trustworthy mechanics.I know from first hand experience that many of them try and tell you there are repairs needed that are not.Being female...I blow them out of the water when I get in their face and tell them they are wrong...I know my car pretty much inside and out been working on them since I was a little kid...I dont know no where close to everything but I know enough and am always wanting to learn more.Thats the key...know your car...know how it works ...and whats common to break etc. This board is great for that..even if you just lurk around you learn something new everytime you come here.

I see you live in NC so its not all that cold there like it is in here in NE. When you have a repair you want to tackle..get a few friends together..a manual...(and if you can, someone who knows their way around a soob) and make a good time day out of it. These cars are very easy to work on. I dont have a garage to work in and have done many repairs outside...you feel good about yourself when its done. I call these repair moments ...bonding...with your soob.

Like I said I know how you feel..and right now I am still overwhelmed with things that need done on my Loyale..timing belts,water pump,tick of death..oil pump,leaky leaky leaky,funny brake shutter,new clutch,motor mounts,possessed heater controls,and who knows what else...but I absolutly love my car..its not fast,its not 4WD..its not the best soob had to offer..but it always gets me to where I have to go.

Ok I spewed enough tis morning...back to my coffee

The coolest thing about the USMB, is that you can learn to do anything on your Subaru if you'll read all the threads/descussions that pertain to your problem.

You will also find a huge source of support here on the board, while tackling a

project or fix. I resealed the the front end, rebuilt my oil pump, replaced my

water pump, and timing belts on my 93 loyale after reading and finding out that

many many other first timers worked through it with the help of the USMB!

I have put over 18K on that work no leaks or troubles, and I didn't pay the shop $1500 do it!!! As far as a place to work on your car, find a friend or relative with a garage, same goes for tools, if you don't have them beg. borrow or rent.

It sounds like you have had quiet a few repairs already, at least you know whats

been done. It would be like starting over with a different used car....

Good luck,

Chris

Every time I get to this point, I have to look at my alternatives. Currently, my 83 is in need of 1 CV shaft, all 4 front wheel bearings, all 4 tie rod ends, and a BUNCH of suspension and steering bushings. It'll cost me about $215 in parts and 2-3 days of work (never done most of this). Or, I could spend ~$700 and one day to take it to the local tire shop and have them do it. The other option would be to take the money I would spend on repairs and put it towards another car. However, $700 isn't much of a down payment on anything and the only thing it'd buy outright would be something nearly as old. I'd just be inheriting someone elses problems, some of which I'd be entirely unqualified to fix. IN this case, I already know what has gone into this car. I know what has been fixed and I know what is likely to break in the near future. So, I'll blow a couple days of vacation to get the car fixed.

... I know what has been fixed and I know what is likely to break in the near future. So, I'll blow a couple days of vacation to get the car fixed.
And for me, when I do the repair I *know* how much confidence I have in the repair, and who to blaim if it goes wrong. Also for me, I enjoy (usually :rolleyes: ) doing my own work, and just wouldn't think of paying someone else to do something that I could do... sort of like paying someone to go fishing for you...

I agree that with a used car you are inheritng someone else's problem... why else would they be selling it? (I do buy used, but I try to go in with eyes open and decide if I can fix the expected probs.) Buying new doesn't gauranty anything other than high payments; I have seen lots of broken new cars. And the "required maintenance" can be prohibitively expensive.

If the car "fits" you and your life, I would say to keep it. But then, I keep EVERYTHING! :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement. You guys are better than prozac! I will keep you updated.
Yeah, I know the feeling. Every few months I get to feeling the way you feel and the people here and some of the other boards I frequent keeps me wanting to keep my cars. Gary in particular is very encouraging to me as far as working on my car(s) go. I get lazy sometimes and other times far in doubt as far as changing timing belts and such. Heck I offered a hand to Gary in changing some cams on one of my XT6s, which was a personal visual nightmare as far as not being a mechanic goes.

I've learned SOOOO much from you all and the other boards. Good luck redkard4. Just letting you know that there are those of us who can relate to the feeling. You have to be the best judge as to whether it's worth getting a new car or keeping the subbies. I was pretty much forced to get a new car since one of my XT6s refuse to stay in running condition for any more time than a month (it's a week now before something goes wrong). :banghead: My FWD one in particular loves to break down and try to leave me stranded. It did it this morning (battery is draining itself for some reason). I still love the car but it's testy.

Anyways, good luck! :brow:

I used to get down every once in awhile, but I think you get to a point where you've done so much and learned so much that you simply become confident in your car and your ability to fix it. You can only throw so much money at one of these (I for one have invested well over $5000 into my Hatchback). I would trust that car to take me to the ends of the earth and back. Now if something breaks I either just fix it or come here for help and inspiration!!!! No mess, no fuss.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, stick around learn some stuff and sooner-or-later you'll reach the level of "SubbaMello" :) Later, Tim

These are old subies...and most of the time...ppl dont take proper care of them...and...well, stuff breaks cuz it doesnt last forever.

But mostly...these cars are tough as nails and will keep on going with a little TLC and proper care!

The DL was the smallest $ pit...i spends $130 on the car...and invested about $150 more in the whole car...and sold it for about that same price...i think...?

Otherwise...the 89 RX that JWX has ive invested $2500...and the 88 was about...well, not as much, but about $800.

The current RX....that $ is classified!

But...the wagon....golly....about $6000 invested...and its sitting on 4 jack stands with a blown engine (gone thru 5 since I got it) and NO suspension at all.

im still optimistic...especially after today's results about all my investments so far...so...dont dispair!!