Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*waves* New 88 DL Wagon owner, a few questions.

Picked up a "new" DL wagon last night, spent today working on it, and I have a few questions.

1. Where does one find cheap rear brake drums? Mine are shot, and none of the local parts stores had any. They could order some for $65/ea (combined, more than I paid for the car), but if I can get 'em cheaper online, I will.

2. How is the clutch cable supposed to sit in the clutch fork? I had to replace the clutch cable, and it's not quite right. If I put it how it seems to make sense, the end of the adjustment rod (that the nut rides on) hits the carrier for the anti-rollback system cable. I can get a picture if this doesn't make any sense. I have it rigged creatively right now, and it works, but I'd prefer to do it the "right" way.

3. Where do I find a dipstick? My engine has none... which is very strange. At least, I assume the open hole on the front of the engine that looks like a dipstick should slide down it is the oil dipstick port...

4. It leaks oil. I understand that this is most often caused by the cam cover seals getting old. The lifters are also tapping. I'm planning to follow the directions outlined at http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~camncath/ea82_hydraulic_lifter_fix.htm when I get some time. How long does this take for someone who is half-competent with engines? I've rebuilt a rotary engine, and done a lot of general maintenance, but haven't had to deal with piston engines much.

5. How does one reduce shifter slop with the EA82? I found a lot of detailed information on fixing it with the EA81 engine, but not much for the EA82. It's pretty bad... still drives fine, but other people who aren't familiar with it might have some issues with it.

Thanks in advance for the help! Looks like it'll be a good car.

-=Russ=-

Try the Junk Yards first for the drums and the dipstick. But if you do want to use new drums its worth the money since you will probably never have to replace them again. I used my old 88 GL wagon as a newspaper delivery car and the brakes both front and rear help up great..better than any other delivery car I had.

I could run out and take a pic of my clutch cable for you...but dont know if it will help cause I dont have hillholder on mine..but it might be the same..will do that shortly..its too dark out right now and my cheap digi camera doesnt have a flash.

As for the ticking lifters..common problem...lots of easy ways to fix ..always try the easy stuff first...Marvel Mystery oil is one way..freguent oil changes,heavier weight oil.And the Mickey Mouse gasket on the oil Pump are all common ways to quiet the noise.

The oil leak...if it isnt to bad dont worry about it till you have something else to do...like timing belts.These motors like to mark thier territory.

Welcome to the good ship USMB

May your stay be long and pleasent.

On the brake drums - if it's 2 wd I have a set for cheap

email me.

On the clutch cable, it is an odd arrangement. The "anti roll back"

better known as "the hill holder" cable and unit contain the return spring.

Hope somebody has a picture, mine is hiden by my intercooler.

Routing the cable under the steering column is the only way it should go.

What Bucky says about the lifters is gospel - listen to her.

For the shifter slop, if you have read any of the EA81 fixes,

the EA82 has a similar "barrel" connection. It can be the main

source of the slop, same fix is employed. The bushings may also

be toast, lift the console or crawl under - your eyes will not lie.

If you are going to love and live with this cutie,

a factory service manual

should be on you Xmas wish list.

Haynes - should stick to making underwear

Chitons - should be spelled "Children's"

"How to keep you Subaru alive" belongs by your porcelain throne as it's a good read.

Hope this helps a little.

I just went out to try and get a pic but mine is hidden under the spare and its still raining.I will try again later after it stops ...already got a few strange looks from my neighbors ..walked out with my camera around my neck,wearing a tank top and shorts and slippers..in the rain and its like 42 degrees out...oh the dedication.:brow: Maybe someone else will have a pic already handy. If I had a scanner I have a microfiche of the set-up that would probably help but I dont.

And yeah...welcome to the wonderful crazy world of USMB and congrats on adopting your Soob or better yet..on your Soob adopting you

Welcome to the wonderful world of Subaru!! :)

ebay can also be a decent parts source....we got some front rotors for one of the 89 GL wagons from there at a VERY reasonable price, brand new. Just be aware of the seller's "ratings" - check feedback etc...

Have also bought shocks and struts on ebay, as well as a few other odds and ends.

Good luck with the new toy!