Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carb switch

you dont need a in inlet manifold if you can find a redline adapter plate. remember the ea81 have two different carb base sizes, i think you would have the big mouth one.
where would i go about getting a redline adapter plate? and does that just make it so it fits without having to get the whole intake manifold? also would i need a new computer for the carb?

BobBrumby, Did the Australian EA81s ever come with the C/W carb? I thought that was a U.S. model only thing.

Seth, you will need to use a different intake manifold. I've never heard of anyone selling an adapter to put a Hitachi carb on the C/W manifold. Redline doesn't even sell an adapter for putting a Weber carb onto that manifold.

If you use a Hitachi carb that used a computer (probably from a 2wd model), then you will need to swap to that computer in order to use that carb. The wiring is different also, so I would not recommend this route. Most 4wd EA81 powered Subarus that used Hitachi carbs (in the U.S.A.), did not have a computer. I would use one of these carbs (with matching intake manifold) to replace your C/W carb.

It would also be possible to use an EA82 carbutetor and manifold, but that swap is not nearly so straightforward.

cis subaru

no i dont beleive its a carter webber as its got hitachi written all over it and is 2bbl but it did have a smaller base than the adapter plate i got with the carb. Luckily i had a "big mouth" intake that fitted the adapter plate on a spare engine, even if it did have a carb stud tread stripped :banghead:

I just did this same swap over last week. I had to change the intake which I paid $40 from a guy who has spare parts all over. I also bought a used Hitachi for $50 and put a rebuild kit from NAPA in it before installing. Took about 3-1/2 hours and $140 in parts and gaskets...