Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WRX/Brat conversion

I have been toying with the idea of fitting my Brat with a WRX powerplant so figured do some research on the pro's and cons of doing this. My first step was to talk with the people in Melbourne who are actually offering this conversion and upon doing this very quickly changed my mind.

This is what l was told, Yes we have done Quite a few of these, and yes all the things you have heard are true, there is no real problem getting everything to fit BUT, yep there's always a but, most of the conversions done to date have one MAJOR PROBLEM, they wont stop, in fact the only way to guarantee stopping these cars is to aim them at a wall or a big tree.

As we never saw any of the early turbo's, rear disc brakes are non existant in this country, a fact l can confirm as most of the wreckers you ask for them tell you to go away, (read, piss off), the only cars imported to Aus with rear disc's l'm told were the Vortex which also is rare.

There is a person in Queensland making oversize rear discs and offering a set-up but nobody has been able to come up with a compensator that works so these tend to lock up.

With all this in mind and said, l expect an avalanche of, shut up fool, mine work fine, etc, etc, but please, don't shoot the messenger, ring melbourne 94897826 and ask the people offering this conversion, the impression l got was they consider these cars dangerous.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

Redskin :-\

I can't imagine that the rear brakes are going to make much of a difference, since you not adding any significant weight near them, and on a basically FWD vehicle the rear acts more like training wheels (different name in your vernacular???) than anything else while stopping.

Seems to me that the problem would be more front tire (tyre?) and front brakes. Is the reported difficulty stopping at all, or with brake fade during hard and/or repeated braking? Might try vented front rotors, and/or larger front rotors (like mentioned for the rear).

If you are truly desperate, maybe someone over here (or closer) could ship you some brake components. Might be cheaper than custom brakes.

I can't imagine that the rear brakes are going to make much of a difference, since you not adding any significant weight near them, and on a basically FWD vehicle the rear acts more like training wheels (different name in your vernacular???) than anything else while stopping.

Seems to me that the problem would be more front tire (tyre?) and front brakes. Is the reported difficulty stopping at all, or with brake fade during hard and/or repeated braking? Might try vented front rotors, and/or larger front rotors (like mentioned for the rear).

If you are truly desperate, maybe someone over here (or closer) could ship you some brake components. Might be cheaper than custom brakes.

I Spoke with the mechanic who actually does these conversions on the number supplied and he claims the difficulty is stopping at all. As l personally

have never seen this conversion other than in pictures, (like most of us), l don't know if brake fade is the problem, all l was told was that these cars have alot of trouble stopping, that is good enough for me as he is one of the few people that would know for sure.

As also mentioned custom brakes are available but they run out at $1500.00, to rich for my hard earned cash, as for standard rear discs, l got mine in New Zealand.

So in closing, if you need to know more, l have listed the number to call, they are the people with all the answers, l'm just passing on what l was told.

Redskin.

I can say that my EA82T Brat is/can be pretty scary. I don't have near the HP or weight of a EJ20T in it but yes, stopping is an issue. Not to mention general handling is like that of a Radio Flyer wagon. At the moment, it is a great straight line rig but not something I feel comfortable rallying on the twistys.

Later this winter, I'm swapping in Front and Rear XT-6 suspension to try to make this thing handle. discs all around, power steering, decent shocks (I've got a set of Tein coilovers I might use). I hope this swap will give it a little more grip and a lot more stop...

So yes, I can imagine the WRX'd Brats are scary as hell, but pretty damn fun too.....

garner

Look closer at the brakes. Those are complete STi components. 4 pot Brembos up front and 2 pots in the rear. The disc size is also much larger than the XT6

You've won me, as the owner of 3 Lemans Guzzi's, Mk1, 2, 3, l am fully aware of the Brembo system and consider them to be the best braking system ever fitted to motorcycles, but i never knew Subaru used them, perhaps l was a little hasty, might have to rethink, thanks.

Redskin. :grin:

89 Twin port Brat

84 Brat worker

Mk. 1,2, and 3 Lemans Guzzi

1947 Indian Chief

1942 Indian 841 shaft drive

1930 Indian 101

1928 Scout.