Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 gl-10 value/mechanic wanted

My subaru blew a headgasket a few months ago and I have been waiting to get enough money to get it repaired. I have been borrowing a friend's car in the meantime, but now they need it back and I do not have any money to fix my car, so I need to sell it to buy a beater.

Anyway, how much should I ask for if I advertise it locally in the newspaper (Vernonia, OR area)? It's a 1987 GL-10 4 door sedan EA82T with D/R FT4WD 5 speed with locking center differential. It has power windows and locks, sunroof and digital dash. Overall, it's in decent condition, except the driver's door is dented pretty good where someone backed into it (only the door is damaged and it seals up good) and right behind the driver's side rear wheelwell where someone else backed into it. The dents are cosmetic, but very noticeable. There is some rust behind the rear wheels, but it isn't rusted through to the outside. The engine runs good and wasn't smoking prior to the headgasket blowing. It runs and can be driven as it is now, except for the massive white cloud.

What is a fair asking price for this car as described? I know they are pretty common, but the drivetrain should be worth a few hundred, right?

Does anyone know if it is possible to finance a used Japanese engine or crate engine? Does anyone know of a reliable mechanic around Portland, OR that might take payments for their labor with the parts paid for up front?

My subaru blew a headgasket a few months ago and I have been waiting to get enough money to get it repaired. I have been borrowing a friend's car in the meantime, but now they need it back and I do not have any money to fix my car, so I need to sell it to buy a beater.

Anyway, how much should I ask for if I advertise it locally in the newspaper (Vernonia, OR area)? It's a 1987 GL-10 4 door sedan EA82T with D/R FT4WD 5 speed with locking center differential. It has power windows and locks, sunroof and digital dash. Overall, it's in decent condition, except the driver's door is dented pretty good where someone backed into it (only the door is damaged and it seals up good) and right behind the driver's side rear wheelwell where someone else backed into it. The dents are cosmetic, but very noticeable. There is some rust behind the rear wheels, but it isn't rusted through to the outside. The engine runs good and wasn't smoking prior to the headgasket blowing. It runs and can be driven as it is now, except for the massive white cloud.

What is a fair asking price for this car as described? I know they are pretty common, but the drivetrain should be worth a few hundred, right?

Does anyone know if it is possible to finance a used Japanese engine or crate engine? Does anyone know of a reliable mechanic around Portland, OR that might take payments for their labor with the parts paid for up front?

WOW.....Im tempted to drive to portland this weekend to buy your car!!! I would love to find another ft4wd with DR!! That car is worth fixing in my opinion!! about 200 bucks for a complete gasket set..but then head work if its needed could run another 250 if it needs welded, milled, re-valved, ect.. But, you cant buy a good beater for 450 that would compare to the GL10 after 450 is dumped into it.:grin:

If you meet me half way Id buy that car in a heartbeat!!!

WOW.....Im tempted to drive to portland this weekend to buy your car!!! I would love to find another ft4wd with DR!! That car is worth fixing in my opinion!! about 200 bucks for a complete gasket set..but then head work if its needed could run another 250 if it needs welded, milled, re-valved, ect.. But, you cant buy a good beater for 450 that would compare to the GL10 after 450 is dumped into it.:grin:

If you meet me half way Id buy that car in a heartbeat!!!

What, is mine not good enough for ya?!?!? it's closer!!!!

:brow::banana::rolleyes:

I'm just joking... but did you by chance talk to your buddy? I got hit in my Legacy on friday, so the funds will soon be lacking. If he's not interested, thats cool, thanks for asking him.

What, is mine not good enough for ya?!?!? it's closer!!!!

:brow::banana::rolleyes:

I'm just joking... but did you by chance talk to your buddy? I got hit in my Legacy on friday, so the funds will soon be lacking. If he's not interested, thats cool, thanks for asking him.

Hey Kyle...yeah, I gave him (my brother) your number. He was saying something about money, christmas, and having to pay insurance on two rigs.....so im not sure how serious he is.

How bads the legacy?? You got insurance on it, gonna fix it, or????

Was yours a DR??? I didnt think it was?? Wanna trade for anything :brow: