Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Full Time 4WD gearbox question

Hi,

I want to put a full time 4WD gearbox in my Leone. The local wrecker has lots of Leone gearboxes sitting around with no writting on them and he does know what they are. I can get a really good price on one of these gearboxes but I had to know how to visually identify a 5 speed ea82 full time 4WD gearbox (lenght, serial or part number, plugs, ???).

Please help

Cheers

Hayden

there is no real easy way to tell...usually i just grab the input shaft, put it in a gear, and turn it. If both the tail/front shafts turn, and you can hold the front and the rear turns, hold the rear and the front turns...or snay combo of that...its a FT4WD. its its a part time...the rear wont do anything but free turn.

The diff lock wont look anything like a FWD/4WD selector. And it will only have dual range if it came from a RX (doubt your wrecker has one just laying there... if so, SNATCH IT!)

-Brian

Actually, the difflock diaphragm looks VERY much like the 4wd actuator on a PB 4wd tranny.

You just have to check a couple things.

First, verify that the car is in fact 4WD.

Look at the shifter. If there's a button on top that says 4WD, it's only part time 4WD. If the button says DIFF LOCK (VERY rare), it's full time 4WD.

If there is a HI-LO selector, check how many positions it has. 3 positions is part time 4WD. 2 positions with a diff lock switch next to it is full time 4WD.

If the shifter has neither of these and the car IS 4WD, it's full time 4WD.

Not sure about OZ, but in the US the only cars to have full time 4WD were turbo.