Ultimate Subaru Message Board

F-150 fuel pump...

Hi and thx for the replies i had. But now i got few questions: i bought a f-150 inline fuel pump but i would like to know if someone have experience this kind of fuel pump on his subaru loyale or any kind of model and wat effect this different pump can have on the computer versus performances.... Coz i dont know the pressure and the range of the gpm of this new pump.

Thx JB

Your computer doesnt know or care what pump it is. That pump puts out more PSI and GPM than is required for your car so performance is not effected. Your FPR will regulate the pressure/gpm to the injector. Wire it up just like the Subaru one. Use an adapter to make the rubber fuel lines work. Then fire her up!

Yup, it should work fine. As long as the pressure and volume is at least what the stock pump did and not some ridiculously high amount, the regulator shouldn't have any trouble maintaining proper pressure.

Out of curiosity, what did that pump cost you? The factory subaru pumps seem really expensive and if this one works fine that might be a good option for replacement.

I paid about $70 for mine from Napa Autoparts. Been working great on my EA82 SPFI. I'd say Arch has had good luck with them since he just bought another one for a different Subaru but I'll let him speak for himself :)

Sure beats paying $165 or $200+ that I've been quoted for an EFI Subaru and TurboEFI Subaru fuel pump.

hehe, that pump is good for 90 psi and 50 gallons per minute =].

way too much for a subaru, but the fuel pressure regulator bleeds off what you dont need.

i have ran that pump for 1 year now on a na mpfi ea82. good stuff =] 50 instead of 250 rools!

First off, what is the part# of that fuel pump? What modifications do you have to do to your fuel lines to get this pump installed? Does the pump itself install right up where the stock one fits? And lastly, what does the stock EA82-T pump flow at (gallon per minute wise)? Thanks!

acording to the napa book it was maxed out at 45, and flowed about 30 gpm... as far as i remember, maybe a napa guy will chime in.

it doesnt actualy give you any more fuel pressure, so you dont need any modifications. unless you change your fpr. i have the number memorised now, 2p74028 napa

also i used coil brackets to mount them, but the stock mount will work too. coil bracket # icb10

P74028 fits in the stock location with some encouragement.

By the way, both Morganm and Arch I think have installed 2P74028 inboard, which is better spacewise, but noisier.

I installed the Napa pump P74028 ($100) using two stainless marine grade hose clamps plus the stock rubber shock mount (hammered to fit). The Napa pump is 2" diameter (bigger than stock and heavier). I chose to install it backwards because the outlet fitting is long and intruded into the body.

Regarding the P74028 (may not apply to 2P74028)...in my opinion the shock mount is inadequate for this heavier pump and the backwards install may require tight bends in the lines. If I had to do this again I would search for a right angle mod for the outlet like on the stock pump to possibly avoid the backwards install.

As mentioned, you'll also need some kind of fitting to adapt. I used a 1/2" to 3/8" hosebarb NPT fitting pair, 57001-0806 and 57002-0606 at cornerhardware.com to go from the fuel tank hose to the 5/16" inlet on the new pump. Use fuel-rated pipe dope on the brass NPT threads, plus marine clamps. I used more flexible 50psi 5/16" line for the inlet since the Napa EFI 5/16" line was so tight it wouldn't go past the third 3/8" barb.