Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Hatch spotted in a movie!

Sorry if someone has already pointed this out! My mother-in -law knows how much of a Burt Reynolds fan I am, so she picked me up a vhs copy of "Cannon Ball Run" at a garage sale. Definatly not one of burt's best! Anyways, there are a lot of big names in it(which does not always equal a good movie!), including Jackie Chan! A very young Jackie Chan! And what is his car of choice? 1982 Subaru Hatch 4wd! It is supposed to have all sorts of high tech computers and stuff on it, but i don't know who's bright idea it would have been to run the Cannon Ball Run race in a EA81 Sub! We all know just how FAST those are stock!:rolleyes: Anyways, just thought someone would get a kick out of it, i know I did! Kurt

That very same car is now parked in a holding area at Western Washington University in Bellingham. I have a verbal agreement that after I get my garage built that I can store it at my place.
:slobber: I want to see it. I have the C&D (I think it was them) article on it

:slobber: I want to see it. I have the C&D (I think it was them) article on it
There was a C&D article on the Subaru hatch in the movie? Or was it on all of the cars? What about the Hatch? Is it still in good shape? Does it still have the gadgets and stuff in it? Does Jackie Chan still drive it from time to time to reminice?:grin: Who owns it? AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: How soon can we put a lift in it?!

There was a C&D article on the Subaru hatch in the movie? Or was it on all of the cars? What about the Hatch? Is it still in good shape? Does it still have the gadgets and stuff in it? Does Jackie Chan still drive it from time to time to reminice?:grin: Who owns it? AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: How soon can we put a lift in it?!
The car is owned by Western Washington University, since it was not officially imported into the USA, it can not legally be purchased or licensed. The car is in fair condition having been store outside for many years. I have some pictures that I'll put on my web site then post links here later. You can see for yourself what the car looks like (but the pictures were taken two years ago).

OK, here are the pictures,

http://www.corkysrocks.net/quatrosan1.jpg

http://www.corkysrocks.net/quatrosan2.jpg

http://www.corkysrocks.net/quatrosan3.jpg

http://www.corkysrocks.net/quatrosan4.jpg

http://www.corkysrocks.net/quatrosan5.jpg

http://www.corkysrocks.net/quatrosan6.jpg

The first two are of the early days just before the movie, the rest are from two years ago. The pictures from Freaks post are newer.

The first two are of the early days just before the movie, the rest are from two years ago. The pictures from Freaks post are newer.

I'm not trying to be an arse here, but I don't understand. The first two pics listed are of two totally different cars. The first one (black with tinted windows, grey interior, and '80-'81 style headlights) looks just like the one in Cannonball Run. The second one (grey/silver with sunroof, spoiler, tan interior, and '82-'84 style headlights) is the "Quatro San" from Freaks post. These two pictures appear to have been taken at the same event (same guy in both pics wearing same clothes under the same lighting), so they can't be the same car.

So how does "Quatro San" relate to the movie? Was it in Cannonball Run II? (I'm not as familiar with the sequel.)

maybe just different stages in development... :confused:

The pictures appear to have been taken on the same day, and there just seem to be too many differences between the cars for them to be the same. Besides, the original Cannonball Run movie was showing in U.S. theaters in June of 1981, so if Quatro San is a 1982 model it could not have been in the movie.

I'm not trying to be an arse here, but I don't understand. The first two pics listed are of two totally different cars. The first one (black with tinted windows, grey interior, and '80-'81 style headlights) looks just like the one in Cannonball Run. The second one (grey/silver with sunroof, spoiler, tan interior, and '82-'84 style headlights) is the "Quatro San" from Freaks post. These two pictures appear to have been taken at the same event (same guy in both pics wearing same clothes under the same lighting), so they can't be the same car.

So how does "Quatro San" relate to the movie? Was it in Cannonball Run II? (I'm not as familiar with the sequel.)

The first picture is the way it was delivered from Subaru, the second picture is how it was prepped for the movie. The lighting is terrible, the photos were taken with a cheap camera, but it are the same car. The color of the car is dark brown, not black or grey. The film used was daylight film, and those shot were indoors under florescent lights, ask any photographer, they will tell you that combination will not give you true colors. Quattro San is the car the Jackie Chan drove in the movie 'Cannonball II'. If I remember correctly (and Freak can check the dataplate) Quattro San is a 1980 Hatchback. The photos are about two weeks apart.

Now I'm even more confused.

The first picture looks exactly like the car Jackie Chan drove in the first Cannonball Run movie. Black with dark tinted windows, gray interior, and "Subaru 4WD" along the bottom of the doors. I have an old tape of the movie and just verified this.

Jackie drove a Mitsubishi (Starion?) in Cannonball Run II, not a Subaru.

http://ajackiefeast.com/cannonball_run.htm

If the first picture is Quattro San, then along with everything else they did, they must have replaced the entire front grille and lights with later model parts, put different side trim on it, and added a passenger side mirror.

I'm not trying to discount Quattro San here. It sounds like it was an important and influential car, but I'm having a very hard time understanding how it could have been the one in the movie.

there's no way that the first one is the same as quattro san. i know the window tinting difference could be held to scrutiny, yet the first one has the side trim without the chrome. why would thay take the time to switch the trim to the GL molding that has the chrome strip on it. yes, it's possible, but the amount of time and effort involved doesn't really make the aesthetic gain seem very plausible (yet i violate this notion every day while working on my subarus, so...). finally, being almost certain, the front core-support mounts for the grill are welded on in different locations for the 80-81 grill style compared to the 82 and up dual headlight grills. so switching from the 1980 grill to the 82 style third eye grill setup would take an extensive amount of work to accomplish (as compared to a bolt on/off conversion).

despite all of this, i just wish my hatch looked like the car in either one of those pictures. sweeetness, and the rear spolier!?!

corky, do you have any more pics of the this or these cars from that time period (when they were brand new or close to). i towed my hatch to the bodyshop last weekend and i need some help with ideas for painting. would much appreciate the access to your developing subaru archive.

-justin

The first picture is the way it was delivered from Subaru, the second picture is how it was prepped for the movie. The lighting is terrible, the photos were taken with a cheap camera, but it are the same car. The color of the car is dark brown, not black or grey. The film used was daylight film, and those shot were indoors under florescent lights, ask any photographer, they will tell you that combination will not give you true colors. Quattro San is the car the Jackie Chan drove in the movie 'Cannonball II'. If I remember correctly (and Freak can check the dataplate) Quattro San is a 1980 Hatchback. The photos are about two weeks apart.