Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! 1984 EA81: Starter won't spin!

Ok, today when I was leaving work I went to start my car and when I turned the key all I got was a click. So my first thought was dead battery… no that wasn’t it. So then I figured it was time to replace the starter.

I have tried 3 different starters and they all do the same, click and nothing. I pulled one of the starters far enough away from the bell housing to see if it was spinning or not. All it was doing is pushing out the gear and not spinning! What the heck is going on? Are all 3 starters bad? Or am I missing something? Its not a very complex system. Wire from the battery to the starter.. and then a switch to ground it??? What could go wrong there? I need some advice quick because this is my only mode of transportation!!

Thanks.

not trying to be a wise rump roast, but did you check all the connections?sometimes if there is enough juice , it is not enough juice.in other words, if there is juice to get it to extend , maybe there is not enough juice to spin it.your battery terminals may be dirty, there may be a short in the wire, or your ground could be lose.gotta go through the whole thing without panic,don't try to fix it.just try to find out what is wrong with it.then you will be able to fix it.don't panic.

try running a wire from the battery to the starter switch? make sure the car isn't in gear and the E brake is on. If that makes it spin...you have a bad ignition switch...I had that prob...I just made a puch button start. The button is right next to the ignition...not very hard...

I ran a wire from the positive battery post ...to the button.. then to the starter. (This is the Cheap half

You could go the right way and get a new switch (if that turns out to be the prob). Good Luck

[HTi]Johnson

I was ther helping Jeremy today, and the cables are fine and tight. We cleaned the battery cables as well. It does the same thing. We tried using battery cables and nothing. We tried to push start it and it started, and we let it idle for 5 or 10 minutes, then turned it off. Tried to start it back up and nothing. We disconnected the alternator and it does the same thing. I don't know whats up.Thanks for the input though, it's appreciated.

The solenoid is located inside the starter right? We haven't been checking because we've tried 3 starters, and if the solenoid is bad on all 3, then it must be something else that's causing the fail, right?

I think I know it's not the solenoid and not the starter causing the problem. Thanks for the ignition help guys. I will try your suggestions tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find out.

If

when you run a jumper wire from the positive battery post

to the small spade connector on the starter the starter spins

then

it means the ignition switch contacts are

probably toast

(this is a common problem)

so

to rectify the problem without adding an aux. push button

use any common lighting relay as follows.

strelay.jpg

as a side note

the connector that feeds voltage to the ignition switch

has been known to cause this also.

The main feed in the connector gets burned

and will not let the amount of current needed to pass.

This pink colored connector is under the st. col

It can be easily seen after the trim panel is removed

and may appear burned at the main

(white colored)

feed wire connection

Hope this helps

Wow Skip thanks for the diagram, you rock.

I got the problem fixed. It just happened to be corrosion on the battery terminal. I cleaned it up and it starts up like a champ. Thanks again for all your help. I still might put a push button start in the car. I like that idea. :brow:

Peace,