Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think I may have a problem. I am getting gear whine when I am in gear & let off the gas. It is most noticable in 3rd gear but it is there in all gears. I only notice it when I am off the gas. I have changed all the fluids when I bought the car in September. Any ideas? Am I doomed?

Pat Callaghan

95 Legacy Outback

2.2L, 5-spd, AWD Wagon

My tranny whinnes in the top gears (and no I don't lean on the gear shift knob or rest my hand on it while driving).

I've just given up and assumed it was a quirk of the car and learned to live with it.

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--pops out of 1st when lugging it.

01 Forester--whinny tranny

Well, Subaru's biggest weakness is the transmission, no question. The manual boxes are noisy from new, but main bearings will get louder and sometimes fail around 120k miles. An irregular rumbling/rattling noise at idle, in neutral, all pedals untouched is a sign of trouble. Some added whinning is to be expected with age.

Oh, jumping out of gear is also an indication of worn bearings. And this is the warning that means business.

Thanks setright. So the tranny would have more of a low rumble at idle? And really not a problem until it starts falling out of gear? I've always wanted to have a bungee cord attatched to the glove box to hold fifth gear. BTW, I finally put some Redline NS in last night and now it goes into 2nd smooth as silk.

• 10 months later...

I have had the rumble slightly on my OBW since around 105K. I now have 137K on the car. None of that has changed and it is not louder as of yet. However abou 2K miles ago my tranny is poping out of 4th ONLY on its own. It is anoying but I can live with it for now to extend the repair. I still have the ORIGINAL clutch. Only when it is cold until about 10 min of driving on ocasions there is some slippage but it is minor and it only happens if you floor the gas and then it catches. Any suggestions or ideas will be helpful. I figure when I have to replace the clutch I would have the syncro's replaced etc. Could it be the syncros or bearings? Every other gear is fine

Well, Subaru's biggest weakness is the transmission, no question. The manual boxes are noisy from new, but main bearings will get louder and sometimes fail around 120k miles. An irregular rumbling/rattling noise at idle, in neutral, all pedals untouched is a sign of trouble. Some added whinning is to be expected with age.

Oh, jumping out of gear is also an indication of worn bearings. And this is the warning that means business.

On my 97 OBW Automatic, I started to hear a high pitched whining noise, almost as if it was the flywheel. Long story short flushed the fluid and went to Synthetic, noised continued for 3k miles but now it is completly gone. I have 171k miles on my OBW, and these are all NYC miles and my tranny is still going. But generally my experiences with auto subarus are that the trannies fail at 120k miles.

I have had the rumble slightly on my OBW since around 105K. I now have 137K on the car. None of that has changed and it is not louder as of yet. However abou 2K miles ago my tranny is poping out of 4th ONLY on its own. It is anoying but I can live with it for now to extend the repair. I still have the ORIGINAL clutch. Only when it is cold until about 10 min of driving on ocasions there is some slippage but it is minor and it only happens if you floor the gas and then it catches. Any suggestions or ideas will be helpful. I figure when I have to replace the clutch I would have the syncro's replaced etc. Could it be the syncros or bearings? Every other gear is fine