Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale, heater, temperature ?

Like the title says, 92 Loyale SW, here's the question:

This car seems to take a long time to warm up, and when it does the temperature gauge never realy gets any higher than less than a 1/4 up on the gauge, unless I am driving on the freeway with no heat, then it will climb to about half way.

My old Gl would always run at half on the gauge, not this one......

Now my heater doesn't seem to be that hot either, it's definately warm, but not like full blast heat should be, and adjusting the temp controll down just a little bit makes a drastic change in temp...ie a little less than full hot is starting to blow cool....

Also, some of the time during acceleration I can hear a gurgling noise coming from the heater core area.

Are these problems related?? Heater core going south?? Is there a heater valve that might not be opening all the way?? Is the gurgling actualy air being sucked by a loose heater hose???

Thanks in advance for any advice......

If possible I would get a genuine Subaru part here (88 deg C)

They are not that expensive and are much better than the after market variety.

Then "burp" your system to remover air pockets by elevating the front of the car while filling.

(ramps are good for this)

The position of the heater core and the rad fill port make this mandatory.

Note: there is no coolant valve in the system,

temperature regulation is done via a

"blend door"

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply's guys...........

Skip, I'll go OE. I have a buddy who is somewhat "connected" ( ;) ) to a Sub dealership where I might be able to get oe parts for a nice price. If you say OE, that's the way it be.....

When filling, just to make sure I get what you are saying, I would ramp the car in front (yep, got ramps), start it, and fill as normal?? Filling as the level drops, squezzing hoses, etc etc.

Thanks again, I can't beleive what a wealth of info this place is.