Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL pulls to left...??

So...autox buddy has an 87 carbed D/R wagon...

He says the axles click when turning sharp...and the car just suddenly started pulling to the left some weeks ago...I had a DL that did this and the outer CV's were all F*ed up. So, i figure its the axles, and we get all the boots and grease to re build them.

Well, I get there, and the boots are perfect. No sign of grease anywhere.

BUT...sharp turning on pavement..aka only at FULL LOCK...you can hear the CV's click a little...none too bad as the RX's axles has done this before...and it doesnt pull or anything.

It pulls to the left. It is not dependent on brake/accell...it just goes there. I figure, it might be alignment...so i tweak the left front in some. Its better....but still does it.

I cant hear any wheel bearing noise, or any axle noise on accell...no abnormal noises or what not.

Its got 145k miles on it.

Could it really be the axle(s) causing this? other than at full lock, they are quiet...and even at full lock they barely click.

Didnt see anything bent either...so...im all out of ideas.

anyone?

Check the rear bearings and brakes and allignments. no reason to assume it is in the front just beacause it pulls. I've had worse "pulls" due to rear end problems than front problems. My 88 kept pulling and wearing tires. Two chain tire stores said it was in allignment and not ajustable anyway, so I finally took it to an actual allingment shop. The rear was way out. They had 3 guys working on it but got it in allignment in about 30 minutes for $80 and no pulling and tires last forever.