Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's alive!...mostly

Well, after buying the car back in Nov...I finally got it on the road.

It's a 1986 GL-10 sedan...140K miles and all mine for $500

After replacing a mountain of air suspension bits (both front struts, computer, solenoids, o-rings, wires, etc), new front headlights, brakes, oil change, air filter, some work on interior lighting, massive interior cleaning (seems like someone may have thrown up all over the gearshifter/ebrake plastic stuff), doing a bit 'o un-dent work on a couple panels and front bumper, spark plugs...damn...I could go on and on...

It runs!

It starts!

It stops!

It air suspensions!

Yes the idle is a bit rough. The ECS light comes on occasionally when coasting. It does have a minor oil leak. The clutch is slipping a touch. Oil is dripping onto the exhaust and making a bit of stink. The air suspension isn't 100% perfect...yet. But that is pretty much it for problems.

But A/C works. Cruise control works. All interior lights work. All exterior lights work. Power windows...power locks...power mirrors...digital dash...clock...all those other silly things...they ALL WORK! Even 4WD is fully functional.

I'm so freaking happy!

There is still some stuff to be done. But it is no longer "the car in the driveway". It is officially "the car I can drive to work". Hopefully soon it will be "the car I can drive a medium distance without fear" and eventually will be "the car that actually kicks a small amount of rump roast".

I think I am going to drive it right now :D

Woot!

"the car in the driveway".

"the car I can drive to work"

"the car I can drive a medium distance without fear"

"the car that actually kicks a small amount of rump roast".

Step one - check

Step two - check

Step three - you just never know

Step four - with enough time and money

I went straight from step 1 to step 3 when I did mine.. although the WA to TX trip did involve a little bit of subaru induced fear.lol

Step one - check

Step two - check

Step three - you just never know

Step four - with enough time and money

I went straight from step 1 to step 3 when I did mine.. although the WA to TX trip did involve a little bit of subaru induced fear.lol

It took me forever to do because of damn work. Holiday season kicked my rump roast. I'd race home from work (when I got off early) to get that 30 minute to one hour of daylight to wrench. It was really frustrating.

But now...3 days in a row off. And I got it back on the road on the first day :D

I'm a lazy bastard though, as you saw in OT ;) Copy and paste baby...copy and paste.

And speaking of your WA-TX trip...I'm toying with an SF to LA run at the end of this month...but I lack in courage.

Congrats on getting your car up and running. Must be a great feeling. Someday, I'll be hardcore like you guys and work outside in the snow, at subzero temps, with hail coming down. I'm working on it! :-p

Oh, that's just "forced acclimation" to foul weather, it's usually when they decide to act up the most :)

Congrats on getting your car up and running. Must be a great feeling. Someday, I'll be hardcore like you guys and work outside in the snow, at subzero temps, with hail coming down. I'm working on it! :-p

Well I'm just a Northern Californian girlie man. No snow here...evar.

But I did work a lot in the pouring rain...if that makes me more of a man :D

ROFL, ever since I took apart my 4 wagon, all the other vehicles I have owned since, have never made it to the "Driving a medium distance without fear" stage....

Don't be whimps :) I once drove a lifted sube with a blown head 1,500 miles. :brow: Just pay the 100$ a year for AAA and go for it! :D

Also, it doesn't hurt to have some tools with you at all times. :cool:

Don't be whimps :) I once drove a lifted sube with a blown head 1,500 miles. :brow: Just pay the 100$ a year for AAA and go for it! :D

Also, it doesn't hurt to have some tools with you at all times. :cool:

A screwdriver at the very least... don't leave home without it!

Way back, I was driving a GL-10 that had a few quirks. I had jury duty and security took my screwdriver, lest I wreak havoc with in the courtroom?! We got out late because of deliberations and security was closed so no screw driver... by the grace of God it started that night!