Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vane Air Fow Sensor Question

Hi,

My EA82T has an Vane Air Flow Sensor (VAF), which looks like it would restrict air flow.

What are my options when changing this sensor?

Can I use a MAF or MAP?

What is involved in the swap?

Cheers :)

Hayden

It looks like it is restrictive by its makeup but do you know for sure that it is more restrictive than a MAF (or MAP) sensored car?

I say this because maybe a day or two ago, I was reading this article:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2055/article.html

I can't access the whole article now for some darn reason. ???? Anyway, I remember reading a sub-section that was talking about vane air flow sensors vs Hot Wire Maf sensors. It stated that the vane air flow sensors causing more restriction is a fallacy/myth/just plain false. They even stated that some vane air flow sensors flow better than comparable maf sensors and they stated why. I saved that link in my yahoo mail but now I can't access the whole article to post up the points it made. Sorry!

Ok, I purchased access to Autospeed. :rolleyes: I keep ending up back at that site reading up on some information about something or another anyways. Here's what I remembered reading previously.

"

Vane Airflow Meters - Not What They Seem!

There are a few other things to note about vane airflow meters:

(1) Unlike a hot wire design, the vane airflow meter measures volume airflow, not mass. It's mass which is important, and so a temp sensor is included in the airflow meter. With airflow volume and temperature available, mass can be calculated. (Atmospheric pressure? - for really accurate calculations, it's needed as well!)

(2) The insides of the meter - both the mechanicals and electricals - are carefully designed so that the meter is very sensitive around low loads, where good driveability requires a high resolution. This means that, strictly speaking, the output signal is not directly proportional to combustion air intake volume.

(3) It is a complete and utter fallacy that vane airflow meters are restrictive. In fact, measurement shows that a large vane airflow meter poses less full-load restriction than a similar sized hotwire airflow meter. (We'll cover this intriguing point in more detail another time.)"

The article goes on to talk about a lot of other different stuff about air/fuel ratios and the vane air flow sensor but I'll stop here. :)

The vane type MAF rules! this means you have an 86 or older computer and the overboost sol. that can be disssabled so no fuel cut. My car in the sig has that vane type maf and I don't think it's restrictive in any way, unlike the stock pipes it had, or the air intake silencer, or the stock filter, etc.

• 4 years later...
No - and please start a new thread rather than dredging one up from 4 years ago.

GD

Maybe we should be rewarding him for using the search bar instead of making new threads every five minutes like some other clowns on here do? :D

These are the questions :)

Maybe we should be rewarding him for using the search bar instead of making new threads every five minutes like some other clowns on here do? :D

These are the questions :)

Yeah - but it never end's up working because people come along and start answering the question that was posed 4 years back because they pay no attention to the thread date and it get all kinds of screwed up and confused.

Better to have a FAQ and just put up with people who repost common questions - and scorn those that dig up stuff that's only 25% related to their question.

GD