Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale front end noise

'91 Loyale 4x4 wagon, 5 sp.

Here's one I can't figure out myself. I have a noise coming from the front end that is consistent with wheel speed - I hear it every time the wheel rotates whether giving it gas or braking, turning or straight, clutch in or out, in or out of 4WD, etc. The only exception is if I'm cruising down the highway and I swerve to the left, the sound goes away, but comes right back when I straighten out or turn to the right. If you've ever had a tire tread separate, that's what it sounds like to me - a methodic thump sound (I already tried the tires, but no joy).

A couple of weeks before it started making the noise, I tore into both sides of the front end and replaced the wheel bearings and seals, tie rod ends, ball joints, strut assemblies, and brake pads. Since it started making the noise I replaced both front drive axles, the left steering knuckle (used), the left wheel bearings/seals, and the right ball joint. None of that made the least bit of difference.

I didn't hear when I had it up on jack stands, even when the speedo showed 35 mph. I double checked that everything was torqued down, including the axle nuts and everything was in order. I need help - it's been making the noise for about 10 months. It seems to be a little worse now than when it first started, but I can't find the stupid thing. Any thoughts? Thanks much.

Can you feel it through the steering wheel?

I can feel it a little bit in the steering wheel, but also some in the pedals. Not enough to say that what's wrong is in the steering somewhere, but enough that it could be. Confusing, I know...

Another point of clarification - I can't hear it when I drive by a wall with either window down. I even tried listening around the floorboards with a plastic tube to my ear while my wife drove the car and I couldn't pin it down to any one spot. It seems to be inboard, but can't even say that for sure.

Just to clarify, you can hear it at highway speeds until you make a left hand turn?

The only thing I can think of would be the axle nuts. I've had similar noises which went away after I tightened them down. Although you mentioned you torqued them already...

How much torque did you put on them?

What wheels you using? Cause if there not stockers you might not have centred them well last time u change it? just a guess

Stock steel wheels. I've had the tires rotated since it started making the noise and nothing has changed.

Just to clarify, you can hear it at highway speeds until you make a left hand turn?

How much torque did you put on them?

Actually, I can't hear it when I swerve to the left - more like a drunk driver going down the highway than making an actual left turn. That makes me think the sound is coming from the left side (the sound goes away when there is less weight on the left side).

I finally got to the point where I was standing on my breaker bar - they're plenty tight.

(the sound goes away when there is less weight on the left side).

Could it be something in the struts/suspension then? It sounds like you've replaced everything else on that side. Just a thought.

is it worse when you're on gravel vs. pavement?

Take a jump and let us know if the noise stops once you leave the ground :grin: (or not)

Actually, I can't hear it when I swerve to the left - more like a drunk driver going down the highway than making an actual left turn. That makes me think the sound is coming from the left side (the sound goes away when there is less weight on the left side).

I finally got to the point where I was standing on my breaker bar - they're plenty tight.

Have you tryed tightening the castle nut after the noise presented itself, My 81 wagon did that after i changed wheel bearings, after i drove the car a few days it made a simaler noise, The castle nut was loose.

Almost like the bearing had to seat in.

~CHIM~

Could it be something in the struts/suspension then? It sounds like you've replaced everything else on that side. Just a thought.

is it worse when you're on gravel vs. pavement?

Take a jump and let us know if the noise stops once you leave the ground :grin: (or not)

The suspension makes sense because it doesn't make the noise when it's on jack stands, but I sure can't find anything. Any ideas what to look for other than making sure everything is tight? It seems about the same on gravel/dirt roads.

The jump idea sounds pretty good - Dukes of Hazard style - Yeeha!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it turns out that the noise was actually a bad wheel bearing on the right side, eventhough it was only 2 weeks old. The machine shop pressed them in wrong on both sides - cost me an extra $200 because they don't know what they're doing. I remember now why I do things myself.

hooziewhatsit and CHIM - What a coincidence that the people who replied were from all over the globe, but 1 guy is from my town and 1 from just up the road. Just so you guys know I went to Basin Machine Shop - they're the only shop in K Falls open on Sat., which the only reason I went there (how hard can it be I thought). Anyway, I've heard nothing but bad things about them since then. Spread the word. From what I've heard, I got off lucky. Karl's and Harley's are both good shops.