Ultimate Subaru Message Board

0w-30 in my Loyale

I'm having some winter issues with my '92. For the last three weeks or so, the temperature has been consistently around -25C (-18F) in the day with lows of -35C (-31F) at night.

Then, just last night, my drivers' side timing belt decided it didn't want to turn the oil pump anymore, and it snapped.

I'm thinking that it might be good to run a full-synthetic 0w-30 for the next couple of months. Other than the usual dino/syn arguments, is there any reason for me not to do this?

I'm having some winter issues with my '92. For the last three weeks or so, the temperature has been consistently around -25C (-18F) in the day with lows of -35C (-31F) at night.

Then, just last night, my drivers' side timing belt decided it didn't want to turn the oil pump anymore, and it snapped.

I'm thinking that it might be good to run a full-synthetic 0w-30 for the next couple of months. Other than the usual dino/syn arguments, is there any reason for me not to do this?

does the engine burn any oil at normal temperatures? If so, i'd say stick with something thicker and maybe just use an electric space heater to warm your engine before starting. i think you should be able to find a heater designed to keep your engine block warm in cold weather

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/english/media/block.cfm

The engine drips a little, but not too much. I lose about 1L every 4 weeks of driving. I was planning on a re-seal this next spring, and also to take the timing belt covers off. Since I have to do this repair in an unheated shed, I'm only doing the belts, and no re-sealing for now.

I already have an engine block heater and electric battery blanket, and I have the radiator 50% blocked with cardboard. Those are the minimum requirements for any car up here.

The problem with the block heater is that it just warms the coolant in the block. The oil and the oil pan, which sits below the block, barely gets any of the heat from the engine block heater. Also, since the block and heads are aluminum, the heats gets carried away pretty quick. The cold oil would put a big strain on the drivers' side timing belt, which turns the oil pump.

I guess I could go with a magnetic heater for the oil pan, but that won't do anything if the car is sitting unplugged at the mall or on the street. I could also get a circulating coolant heater, but the car seems to warm up quick enough once it's started.

well since it leaks oil, you are going to be paying to dump it on the ground

6 bucks a quart is a little too much to be doing that.

Trust me, its a lot colder up here, and my sooby starts every morning with 5w30 reg oil and just a block heater. Get a pad heater. they are orange. clean off your oil pan really good with acetone and use some hi temp silcone and glue the lil bastard to the oil pad. they make all different sizes so there is one that fits the sooby oil pan perfectly. I have just set one in on my car between the skid plate and the oil pan, and it helped out alot.

Just run 5w-30 oil with some MMO in it to help thin it out a lil more.

That block heater does make a HUGE difference. just keeping the block warm, helps keep the oil warm. my car started after only being plugged in for 2 1/2 hours this am.. and the temp was -45 F

well since it leaks oil, you are going to be paying to dump it on the ground

6 bucks a quart is a little too much to be doing that.

Trust me, its a lot colder up here, and my sooby starts every morning with 5w30 reg oil and just a block heater. Get a pad heater. they are orange. clean off your oil pan really good with acetone and use some hi temp silcone and glue the lil bastard to the oil pad. they make all different sizes so there is one that fits the sooby oil pan perfectly. I have just set one in on my car between the skid plate and the oil pan, and it helped out alot.

Just run 5w-30 oil with some MMO in it to help thin it out a lil more.

What torxxx said...

What kind of oil are you running right now?

If it's thicker than 5W30, your going to leak a little more, but that's the price you pay for living in an igloo:lol: .

Living in the flatlands you have to already have a block heater, but a pan heater will definitely keep the oil warmer too.

[quote name=phishy75

If it's thicker than 5W30' date=' your going to leak a little more, but that's the price you pay for living in an igloo:lol: .

[/quote]

Musta made a typo.. if its thinner than 5w30 its going to leak more.. thicker oil leaks slower, but in the cold is harder on engines

If it's thicker than 5W30, your going to leak a little more, but that's the price you pay for living in an igloo:lol: .

Musta made a typo.. if its thinner than 5w30 its going to leak more.. thicker oil leaks slower, but in the cold is harder on engines

I'm talking about the oil he has in there already - if it's thicker than 5w30 (ie 10w30 or 10w40), it will leak a little more when he puts the 5w30 in there.:drunk:

I already run 5w-30 + mmo in my car. The cost of a few extra litres of oil (even synthetic) over the next couple of months is no big deal if the car runs better on 0w-30.

I've never heard of a pad heater before, only the removable magnetic heaters. I'll definitely have to scout around for a pad heater though - sounds like that would be an excellent solution.

As far as the block heater's effectiveness goes, as long as I can park the car in an area with little or no wind, it does a decent job. There's a noticeable difference starting the car if if there was a breeze blowing into the grille. If you've seen where I'm from, there's very little shelter to be had.

The background of this picture is just like my front yard:

http://www.ece.ualberta.ca/~williams/images/craik.jpg

And here's a picture of my place in summer (the clump of trees to the right of the grain truck)

http://www.ece.ualberta.ca/~williams/images/harvest.jpg