Ultimate Subaru Message Board

head gasket q

so i finally got around to fidlin with the turbo wagon today.

got her runnin and took her out for a spin - ME LIKEY TURBO:brow:

Even with the 3AT she's way faster than the 5spd N/A.

Now for the problem - she's blowin lots of white smoke (steam). Damn head gasket:banghead: . I can see coolant in #1 cylinder just by looking through the spark plug port, but i did a compression check and both #1 & #3 are running around 130. How is that? Could it be something besides the HG like the intake manifold? I didn't think so, but thought I'd check before I rip off the head next weekend.

that's true. I'll give it a try and see. Here's hoping...

cheers guys:drunk:

Cambell River Subaru charged $5 and change a piece, I'm curious what the Vic guys want for there's.

I hope that's your prob, I just did the HG on the rally ru,smelt like Fort McMurray, nasty! That's my third HG job on a ru in 6 months [different cars]:banghead:.

Good Luck, and thanks for paying for the shipping on the DP.

proly at least $5 each - I paid about $15 each for the U/P and D/P to turbo gaskets, plus the oil passage o-ring between the cam tower and the head is like $2.50. OUTRAGEOUS:slobber: Oh well it has to be done...

No worries about the D/P - if you don't end up using it I'll take it back:brow: Turns out the exhaust is trashed the whole way back.

proly at least $5 each - I paid about $15 each for the U/P and D/P to turbo gaskets, plus the oil passage o-ring between the cam tower and the head is like $2.50. OUTRAGEOUS:slobber: Oh well it has to be done...

No worries about the D/P - if you don't end up using it I'll take it back:brow: Turns out the exhaust is trashed the whole way back.

:lol::lol:Hah, That DP's going to have more $ into it in shipping than I spent on the pipe and welding materials.

I have a 1 7/8" exhaust that bolts up to the DP, with a cherrybomb type muffler on the end. It's ready to go in all you have to do is put the rubber hangers from your old assembly on. oh yeah and connect were I cut it when I removed it[ was feeling lazy and the sawzall was already out on the work bench]. It sounds wicked with the 3" tip on the muffler, very deep tone, and the perf gain over stock with no cats is pretty big. It's about 1 year old. LMK :brow:

Oh yeah, if you get a chance check out the turbo beast in the user photo gallery.

if you have coolant in your cylinder i wouldn't pay much attention to the compression readings. i'll put it this way, i wouldn't assume a high reading is a good thing. i've seen cylinders with coolant in them (known due to later disassembly to be blown head gasket) that will show compression ratios over 10 percent higher than what they SHOULD be. for example, having 150 psi in all cylinders and 175 in the cylinder with the blown gasket. the coolant in the cylinder probably messes with the compression ratio and may reduce some blow by and compression loss that would normally occur with gases. no matter about my speculation or reasoning, i've definitely seen it happen...unfortunately!

if this is an EA82 - the headgaskets are easy to do. rusted bolts are the most time consuming issue in my experience.