Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird Oil Pressure Problems, Need Help!!!

Well i was driving my 1990 Loyale around in the snow and on my way home after spinning some slow donuts because im 2wd right now i noticed my oil pressure go from 45-50psi to 0psi we put in some oil and we accidentaly put in to much so i decided to change it because that hasnt been done since i got the car which was about a year ago and i have only driven the car about 2000 miles since i got it. so after we change it i let it idle and everything seems to be fine i drive it across our churches parking lot to pick up some rims from a friend and everything is still fine then as i take off up the road getting the rpm's up to about 3k the oil starts dropping and my car starts to jerk got it home and i have no idea whats wrong. i need help bad.

DON'T KEEP DRIVING IT!!!

It sounds like you blew an oil pump seal. I recently (accidentally and supidly) added an extra quart to mine and my oil pressure was high, and performance lousy, but my pressure never dropped. Check to make sure that you are not actually using/leaking oil. These engines are known for their oil leaks, and especially ones around the oil pump. Worse case scenario (if you have not driven it long in this condition) is that you need a new oil pump. That should fix your problem. Also you should be using 10W30 oil. If you are in a REALLY warm place, maybe 15W40. 10W40 is VERY prone to sludging/gelling, if you want to use it, at least go synthetic. I only use Castrol or Mobil oils (Mobil is better, but much more expensive), Quaker State is the worst stuff on the market, and can seriously damage your engine. (It has a high wax content which can destroy your engine) Castrol Synthetic Blend is my oil of choice because it affords you some of the benifits of synthetic without the cost. Use a Puralator filter. They are quality products, and will give your engine good protection from contaminats in the oil. ABOVE ALL - CHANGE YOUR OIL EVERY 3000 MILES!!!!

Check for leaks, fix the leaks if there are any. Make sure that the oil pressure gauge wire it connected! On the loyale's the wire could be disconnected and show wierd **** on the inside needle. Loss of compression or air flow might be problem not the oil at all. As far as I know if nothing is leaking and the pump is be driven at start up, well it could be electrical (ground, alt, bat, ect...), air, fuel. But first to rule out oil check for leaks, the gauge wire, you could even check the dip stick right after run the engine for a second. I there is oil up more than an inch beyond the f line, you should be good.

Keep it safe!

thats whats weird everything seems normal except for under hard accelerating then the oil pressure goes to 0, i will check the oil pump otherwise i have no idea. and yes i just changed the oil and filter and it only has little leaks like every other subaru, also i put a full 4 quarts in and its perfectly at full on the dip stick. oh im also using 10w-30

need to determine if the oil pressure sending unit and gauge is working correclty. there may be nothing wrong at all. or it could be something very serious that could ruin your engine if you keep running it.

you mentioned "high rpm's the pressure drops off", i'm wondering if maybe you should look at your timing belts or the oil pump itself. maybe under heavier loads the belt is slipping over the pump sprockets. either because the belt is old or the oil pump has a problem. i've never heard or seen that happen, but something to check as a last resort.

• 7 years later...

you would hear your lifters making a terrible banging sound if oil starvation was present..get a separate oil pressure gauge and attach it to your oil pump and determine from there... I use 5/20 in all my 4 vehicles and get 35psi @3000rpm in the hottest weather in the loyale..just came back from Big Bend Nat. Park (texas) with 105-109F..oil still looked clean at 6000mi with 1.5 qt added...

Does your oil light come on at all when this happens? *(See my note; this might not apply)

My guess would be that the wire for the oil gauge is loose.

*Note: Came up with my own question;

If the car has an in-dash oil pressure gauge, does it still have the dummy light in the cluster too?