Ultimate Subaru Message Board

not the same ea82 wiper Q

so i've noticed that even on the highest speed the wipers arn't that fast..

i'll drive the jetta and turn the wipers on their highest, and there going mach 3. drove the coupe in a downpour the other night and the blades could not keep up..

so is there anyway to "speed up" the wiper motor?

PTO = Power Take Off, like tractors and large trucks have.

basically run the wipers off the engine, rev it up to make em go faster :lol:

I have noticed mine go kinda slow when the alternator isnt putting out all the volts or if I have alot of stuff on, I think we are just stuck with em going slow though. Hmmm maybe UP the voltage?? (probably fry something though)

• 2 months later...

Windex windshield. Clean the poop out of it.

Get some Bon Ami (or barkeeps friend) and a plastic bristled scrub brush. Get your windshield wet, apply generous amount of cleaning powder, scrub the crab out of it.

Windex, let dry.

Apply RainX.

You will never need wipers again. Seriously. I drove from Seattle to Kentucky through a blizzard and 3 thunderstorms and satan himself and never needed to turn them on.

Science.

we have been getting some major downpours herein the PNW, so anyone have some suggestions?

Hi jmr, All!

jmr052 asks:

>Does anyone know if the arms are driven directly off of the motor or if there are gears to drive the arms?

The wiper motor has a gear-box, but it is integral to the motor assembly. Pretty unlikely that you will be able to change the "gearing", at least not casually.

Measure the voltage at the wiper motor while it's running on HI; if it is significantly less than 12V, you can probably get more speed by either cleaning contacts and such in the wiper circuit, or perhaps by cleaning/lubricating the wiper arm pivots. Also, you may be able to dis-assemble the wiper motor/gear-box, clean the armature brushes and internal contacts, and re-lube the gear assembly.

None of these will net huge gains, unless things are _really_ dirty, but unfortunately, this is probably about the limit of what you can do without re-engineering the wiper system.

ByeBye! S.

ya i second the motion of scrubbing your windshield with an abrasive compound of some sort, then wash thouroughly, and windex, then rain-x, at 65 MPH even buckets of water wont stop rain-x, gotta love technology. the guys i work with dont use rain-x, they love to use their dam wipers in the pouring rain, i hate wipers, i wish that my vision of the road didnt have to be interupted for those brief seconds whikle they're on.

~Josh~