Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Accell Spark plug wires

Ok, so i bought accell spark plug wires to replace the poopy ones i have now. Thing is, i have to put them together... I have an idea of how to do this, but could use some guidance. They didnt come with any directions, but they did come with, what i can only imagine is some sort of crimping tool. It is so primitive. It's laughable. I realize i need to cut the wires to the proper length and then connect the boots, but how to i crimp the conductors on? Tried calling their Help Number, but that didnt help. They never picked up. A little direction would be great, thanks.

I just squeezed the bejeezus out of them with regular pliers and they seem to work fine.

Are you running a hotter coil? If not, I'd go grab an MSD Blaster 2 High Vibration coil and put it on while you're working on it. Remember to widen the gap on the plugs too if you run an aftermarket coil.

I just squeezed the bejeezus out of them with regular pliers and they seem to work fine.

Are you running a hotter coil? If not, I'd go grab an MSD Blaster 2 High Vibration coil and put it on while you're working on it. Remember to widen the gap on the plugs too if you run an aftermarket coil.

I got an Accel performance coil to use with the wires. You said to widen the gap on the plugs, how do I do that? I know I dont have a tool for that. Would autozone or advanced have a tool for customers to use?

a tool to gap spark plugs costs like 2 dollars. buy one that measures the gap as well. all auto parts stores carry them, very simple.

i'd return the accel wires and buy magnecor wires. great wires and you'll never need to replace them. excellent customer service as well.

The factory gap is .042" or so (I know it's around there somewhere). Most of the people I've talked to run theirs around .050" with a hotter coil. Since you've got more voltage, it can jump a bigger arc without getting blown out. This makes a larger flame, which helps burn the fuel better.

Plug wires that have to be built are the devil. I made a set of those up once for the inline 6 in my truck, what a pain in the okole. In the end none of them turned out correct and I had to throw them out. :banghead:

What precautions can i take to ensure these wires turn out right? I dont want to throw 55 dollars down the toilet!

55 dollars, that's monkey nuts! if you haven't cut them all up, return them and buy magnecor wires. magnecor are probably the same price, much better wires, no assembly and they'll last forever. excellent customer service, i've run them for years. my friends go through other wires in 30,000 miles on their jeeps and they run these and never replace them. check them out here:

http://www.magnecor.com/

Is there a good web site that handles MSD, Magnecor, Accell?