Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What engine should I get?

NathanialBaker

Replaced head gaskets and engine didn't run, so I took it to an automachanic; and he says the crankcase to broke. Come to find out this 86 brat's engine has been replace some where down the line with an 83 engine. Anyway it needs a new engine.

What engine do you recommend? I want an ultimate offroading machine with good gas milage. I've been suggested an EJ22 and an EJ25. I've also heard of a Mazda WRX STI engine, but I think it's 2x4. What's the best 4x4, good gas milage, affordable replacement? I'm 17 and I only got $1800 in the bank. I need transportation now. Who do I buy my engine from? Replies would be appreciated

You might consider an EA81 like the one currently installed in there. They are tough/cheap/desigen for that era of vehicle and the hard parts of motor swappin are already done for you?

An EJ22 is a great motor but getting one and hooking it up to run will cost a bunch more :rolleyes:

My two cents...

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

***Welcome to the board***

ea82s will fit no problem. they can be had for cheap, parts are more common for it. so what if it has timing belts if you ditch toe plastic covers you can change them in 10 minutes rather than 3 hours

anyway the ea82 has the same bellhousing and motor mounts, and the ea81 intake will fit on the ea82(non tubo)

You might consider an EA81 like the one currently installed in there. They are tough/cheap/desigen for that era of vehicle and the hard parts of motor swappin are already done for you?

An EJ22 is a great motor but getting one and hooking it up to run will cost a bunch more :rolleyes:

My two cents...

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

***Welcome to the board***

i'd have to agree,the EA81 engine i had last,just couldn't kill it.not much on the hp but good torque:brow:

Do what Dustyrider suggests, CCR is the way to go for a rebuilt. It might cost less if you go with the shortblock (no intake).

Miles, 3hrs timing belt change with covers on :confused:

Last time I pulled belts from the junkyard to get to the timing pullies.... took 2 hours. Was not just the covers though. Supid AC was all in the way. With the AC / Alternator configuration I had to pull the Alternator also. The AC and ALT were swaped compared to how it's setup on my EA82. Also the lame clutch fan had to come off with that silly excuse for a 'fan shourd' thats on there.

Last time I did timing belts on my GL wagon. 30 minutes out in the col-de-sac with minimal tools. Really helps having no covers, no AC, no clutch fan, and no fan shroud. Didn't even have to remove the radiator :brow: though my back would have preferd I pulled the radiator... oi was it sore later.

so do I go with an EA81 or an EA82? EA81 is going to cost me $1,100. Is this Brat worth putting a new engine in or shall I salvage it out? needs a new paint job($350-$500). not much surface rust. new radiator and front axles. 153,000 mi. Salvage or Rebuild?

That's between a man and his wallet ;)

so do I go with an EA81 or an EA82? EA81 is going to cost me $1,100. Is this Brat worth putting a new engine in or shall I salvage it out? needs a new paint job($350-$500). not much surface rust. new radiator and front axles. 153,000 mi. Salvage or Rebuild?
I say you should go for it (ea81). Your brat sounds like it has lots of life left, and buying a new motor from CCR aughtta make it good for another couple 100k miles. The general consensus is that the ea81 is the most reliable off-road motor of all the choices. Its also going to be the least work to put in. The other option is to find another ea81 from a junkyard. It will be cheaper but no gaurantees on how much life the motor has in it.

edit: whatever you do, dont send the brat to the junkyard! :eek: