Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my RX did some odd stuff today

JWX

Ok so I go out to start it and I crank it over, it starts like is usually does and then the RPMs drop and it dies. does this three more times till it starts normally, than after it warms up the lifters start ticking (god I hate that) and I give it some gas (usually stops after that) and the check engine light comes on, so I cut the engine off and start it back up and no check engine light, didn't do anything odd when I was driving it around, didn't do anything odd when the check engine light was on.

Thats a SUBARU RX for you. Does odd things for no reason.

If it makes you feel any better....my RX (fresh reseal and blah blah) running synthetic oil, the GOOD Motul 8100 5w30 synth...will, at random, on startup tick. Most of the time it wont...sometimes it will. I usually get out, stand in front of it, and say "Hey, stop that!" and it stops right then....and I go inside and wait for it to finnish warming up.

well get the trim panel

that is above your knees when driving down

then

follow the instructions here

Retrieving error codes

One hunch is the AAV (Auxiliary Air Valve) located on the t-stat housing

wants it's connection cleaned

Could also be your FI coolant sensor contacts

wanting cleaning .

Retrieve the codes to find out.

I'm not taking it to the dealer. Wouldn't the check engine light still be on if there was something wrong? cause the light is off and its not really doing anything odd now. hell after it did this today everything was fine, except that it is only boosting like 6psi now. but I don't think it is related? and yes is was WJMs at one time.

You might want to check your electrical connections... a loose battery cable (not just at the connector) can do things like that. A bad ground wire (or two?) could produce some wacky things from time to time too.

As for the ticking, I'm not sure if the EA82T uses an oil pump seal like the ER27 or not, but on the ER27 there's this seal affectionately known as "The Mickey Mouse Seal". One of the o-ring type sections of this seal (one of Mickey's ears) can sometimes deform under suction and sort of pull out of place a bit. This lets air into the oil - it's sort of the exact opposite of most leaks on a Subaru! :lol: What happens next is you get air bubbles in the oil and they work themselves up to the hydraulic lash adjusters. Now you don't have enough oil in there to keep 'em properly primed, so to speak. Thus the tapping.

The solution? Obviously resealing the pump is the basic answer, but to ensure Mickey's ear doesn't get out of round again, you can fashion a short metal sleeve, out of rolled metal (think of a really short, fat metal straw with a slice down the side), to insert in the opening. This will allow the oil to flow freely as ever, but it keeps the seal from deforming.

Whew! Sorry for the epic novel of a post. :eek:

so the stored codes are 21 (coolant temp sensor) 23 (airflow meter) and 44 (?) now I accedently left the MAF unhooked when I got the car and started the engine could this be the 23 code, cause I haven't cleared codes on it.

so its the one on back of the manifold, good should be easy to get too. so I guess just get a new one and replace it? or can I clean this one?

so I cleaned it and so far, all is right with it. it didn't even tick :confused: anyways I am now wondering why a temp sensor being all corroded would cause all that stuff in the first place?

and anybody have any info on that code 44?