Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SHE RUNS!! But Funky Turbo...

Finally got the turbowagon running after putting in a new HG and fighting with a broken intake manifold bolt, new exhaust (cheers to Vanislru) and a few other fixes...

She runs great, pulls great, wobbles a bit (needs new tires), but I did notice that when the turbo is boosting in mid-throttle, it surges a bit. No prob when the turbo isn't boosting, and when I'm hard on the gas she's fine and pulls hard, but it's that mid-throttle area that has me wondering what's up. I'm new to turbo's, so I'm not too sure what it might be and what to look for.

cheers

She runs great, pulls great, wobbles a bit (needs new tires), but I did notice that when the turbo is boosting in mid-throttle, it surges a bit. No prob when the turbo isn't boosting, and when I'm hard on the gas she's fine and pulls hard, but it's that mid-throttle area that has me wondering what's up. I'm new to turbo's, so I'm not too sure what it might be and what to look for.

cheers

I'm thinking that you are just feeling the transition from off turbo to turbo spooling up to full boost.

I'm sure it's not a transition form no-boost to boost.

It happens after the turbo light comes on (boosting) if I'm not really heavy into the gas - sorta half throttleish - the light stays on so it is still boosting, but it bucks really mildly. Nothing too harsh, and I'm not too worried about it, but it is noticeable. It's sorta like the boost is doing an on/off thing but it's quite light.

That's the best I can describe it...

I'm happy too Bushbasher - it turns out that manifold you gave me has totally different electrical connectors (different years I guess), so I had to work the broken bolt out after all. Still got the manifold if you want it back:drunk:

Ideas???...

so im not the only one with a broken manifold bolt. i gotta drill it out. or so it seems.

Yeah, good times:banghead:

Mine was seized in the manifold itself, not in the head. The threads were fine, but the shaft of the bolt had gotten so rusted it welded itself to the bore of the manifold.

Whatever you do, don't do what I did... I thought I'd get it out with an easy-out (before I know it wasn't the threads) and ended up breaking the easy-out in the bolt. As you can imagine, you can't drill out a bolt with a chunk of easy-out in it. REAL FRIKIN NIGHTMARE:mad: Had to go through the other side with a die grinder (not the most precise tool). Too much time and effort but it finally came out.

Good luck

mine actually broke in the head. or just above the surface of the head, it had about 1/4" sticking out and that broke off when i tried to use vicegrips to get it. the second time it broke just below the surface of the head. looks like its time to break out the drill and easyouts.

i was hoping to get that done tonight so that i only had to put it back together in the morning.

mine actually broke in the head. or just above the surface of the head, it had about 1/4" sticking out and that broke off when i tried to use vicegrips to get it. the second time it broke just below the surface of the head. looks like its time to break out the drill and easyouts.

i was hoping to get that done tonight so that i only had to put it back together in the morning.

Make sure you think it will back out with an easy-out. Maybe soak it with some penetrating oil for a while first. You'll be totally screwed if you break and easy-out in the threads.

I'd be inclined to drill it and use a helicoil...

Just my thoughts:drunk:

About the surgeing. My 86 does a similar thing. I have an air fuel ratio gauge and boost gauge hooked up. Whenever I boost like 4psi for about 5 sec the a/f gauge will still go between rich and lean for about 5 sec, after which it gets the picture and goes full rich. Everytime it goes to the lean side there is a slight hesitation, every time it goes to the rich side the car really wants to go. I have not found the reason for this yet. My theory is maybe the boost signal is not getting to the ecu. So the computer doesn't know the car is boosting so it doesn't go into closed loop "full rich" mode.

I guess that would be something to look at. I don't have a garage so it is difficult to work on these things.

Good luck.

I didn't get to drive it before (well maybe 5 mins) so I don't know if this is a new prob.

It does seem to be more noticeable now that I am aware of it though.

I was thinking wastegate??..?? But the mention of mixture has me wondering... maybe the O2 sensor could be fried - it has something to do with the mixture doesn't it?

It is really quite surgy. By that I mean when it's boosting, it boosts great for a sec or two, then pauses for the same amount, then boosts, then pauses etc... It seems to be pretty uniform times (about 2 sec I'd guess) of boost then no boost and the turbo light is on the whole time.

Any other ideas guys?

Hey, glad to hear that you got it all back together!! Of course there is something else once you fix one thing. I might be playing with mine some more tomorrow. I managed to use quite a bit of oil going to the mountain and back... but of course that's what happens when I giv'r the whole way. :brow:

I didn't get to drive it before (well maybe 5 mins) so I don't know if this is a new prob.

It does seem to be more noticeable now that I am aware of it though.

I was thinking wastegate??..?? But the mention of mixture has me wondering... maybe the O2 sensor could be fried - it has something to do with the mixture doesn't it?

It is really quite surgy. By that I mean when it's boosting, it boosts great for a sec or two, then pauses for the same amount, then boosts, then pauses etc... It seems to be pretty uniform times (about 2 sec I'd guess) of boost then no boost and the turbo light is on the whole time.

Any other ideas guys?

Well, if the boost to wastegate line had a leak in it, wouldn't it make the wastegate actuator go back and forth. It would be letting air escape to the exhaust then go back through the turbo. Just a thought!

Hey, glad to hear that you got it all back together!! Of course there is something else once you fix one thing. I might be playing with mine some more tomorrow. I managed to use quite a bit of oil going to the mountain and back... but of course that's what happens when I giv'r the whole way. :brow:

I take it you didn't do your cam covers yet. Are you leakin or burnin oil??

Maybe I'll stop by tomorrow and bring over the turbowagon:brow:

I don't think it's your turbo, the first thing I'd check is for any vac leaks. Then I'd run some really strong fuel injector cleaner through it. Pull the disty and spray the bejesus out of it internally with brake cleaner and then lube it with oil, check to make sure the actuator from the Vac unit on the disty works. How's the fuel filter, when fuel pumps are on there way out they have a very distinct cycling to them, mid throttle the car bucks a bit and hard throttle surges slightly.

Hey Phishy how's that exhaust?
being that it's gunna be the gf's car, I chickened out and went with the stock muffler. The DP and the pipe back are great, but there ain't no big rumblin goin' on. I did get the guy down at the muffler shop to patch up that hole (for free too:grin: ) so that I can throw it on some time in the future just for fun:brow:

OK, so I threw this out earlier today, and already two peeps have responded saying they have the same prob. WTF??? Is this a common thing?

I didn't get a good chance to try and trace it down today (good thing tomorrow's Sunday and I'm not a football fan) so I'm hoping someone else is gunna reply with a fix before I spend the whole day tommorow doing it:brow:

I take it you didn't do your cam covers yet. Are you leakin or burnin oil??

Maybe I'll stop by tomorrow and bring over the turbowagon:brow:

I did the pass side, but the 500km was it's test run, haha. I think she is leaking from a bunch of other places too, so i'm gonna get it all cleaned up and see where it is exactly from. I also think some of it might be burning, but on an old engine when it's reving at 4 k plus for a while, it's bound to be burning some, haha. Sounds like you just have to drive the turbo wagon hard, and it will be fine, haha. I bet it needs some filters and other stuff changed. Also, is the gas the stuff that has been sitting in it for a while?