Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Took the new GL10 for a spin....woohoo

Got the motor resealed, new gen3 heads, and slapped the motor back in last weekend. WEnt through emissions today and even though I filled the test station with smoke, it passed :-\ . Not sure why its smoking (light blue in color) but this little gl10 is freaking quick compared to my other turbo. This thing is tons of fun to drive and has really impressed me. Cool car :banana: and worth the 200 bucks I paid for it and misc parts/labor thereafter.

I was hoping the smoke was residual from the rebuild but im kinda leaning more towards rings since its blue?? Any input there?? I should have just done the rings and bearings while it was torn down.....but alas my laziness and lack of patience got the better of me......besides I had no clue what true condition the motor was in when I bought it.

I think LoyaleFan is right on the mark. If your other engine had started burning oil at any time, and it got down into the exhaust pipe, it will start to burn and create the infamous blue smoke as it burns off. Sad thing is, it looks similar to when the rings start to go. So unless you tear the motor down again, it'll be kinda hard to tell for a short time. If it continues to do it a month or so down the line(depending on how much you drive it), then you know that you have bad rings.

One other thing that I find cool, is that there is another "Patrick" with a GL-10 Turbo!!!:lol:

Patrick

Good call Cab...

Patrick,

If the smoke does not abate.

"Restore" can help a ring problem

it could also be a stuck ring.

but

The EA82T has a fairly straight forward

PCV system.

It does have a direct connection to the intake tract

infront of the throttle body.

I would replace the PCV valve.

IT MUST BE A OEM PART.

There have been many many reports of after market

PCV valves not being able to control

the positive manifold pressure properly.

Good luck, hope it's a simple fix

ahhha...didnt even think about the PCV....Thanks fellas!! Will go get one today.

One other issue I am having is the down pipe is being leaked on by something and causing a smokey affect when I turn it off?? Gotta look into over the next few days....but she's holding together so far :headbang:

Good call Cab...

Patrick,

If the smoke does not abate.

"Restore" can help a ring problem

it could also be a stuck ring.

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT USE RESTORE, let me ask you this, is it good to have metal shavings in your oil? then why would you add metal shavings into your oil when you add restore? ya it may seat the rings or do what ever, but then it causes premature wear in the cylnders because of those added shavings and i would bet you will be finding your self a new turbo/engine in under a year.

correction

although I am not into using all caps

I am sorry do not use Restore in turbo engines

I did not see the turbo model mentioned

untill you said down pipe

Metal shavings my hind foot, get a grip Scooby

If that were true the oil filter would stop them.

But

here is an excerpt on using Restore in turbos

There are certain brands of additives that make the claim that they'll "stop engine smoking" amongst other things. Now the way these work as I understand it, is by having some form of resin in solution form in the oil. The idea is that where the cylinder bores have become scored over years of use, oil is squirting past the piston rings and into the combustion chamber where it is being burned, hence the smokey engine. This resin makes the oil slightly thicker which helps it to seal those tiny scores whilst still lubricating the cylinder bores. The problem comes when this resin solution gets extremely hot - it turns hard. With most turbo systems, the bearings on the turbo get extremely hot, and the way around this is to use the engine oil to lube the bearings whilst at the same time transporting the heat away from them. When the additive finds its way into the turbo bearings, it can solidify and seize the turbo.

Again sorry for the mis-info

make sure you get an OEM PCV valve

here is an excerpt on using Restore in turbos

There are certain brands of additives that make the claim that they'll "stop engine smoking" amongst other things. Now the way these work as I understand it, is by having some form of resin in solution form in the oil. The idea is that where the cylinder bores have become scored over years of use, oil is squirting past the piston rings and into the combustion chamber where it is being burned, hence the smokey engine. This resin makes the oil slightly thicker which helps it to seal those tiny scores whilst still lubricating the cylinder bores. The problem comes when this resin solution gets extremely hot - it turns hard. With most turbo systems, the bearings on the turbo get extremely hot, and the way around this is to use the engine oil to lube the bearings whilst at the same time transporting the heat away from them. When the additive finds its way into the turbo bearings, it can solidify and seize the turbo.

Skip Skip Skip.. So young and naive..

Thats just what they want you to believe. :lol:

so you got your EGR pipe?

nope....havent seen it yet?? That reminds me...I got send some paypal coin your way. Will do first thing monday.

I ended up using one off a xt6 and just used my pipe bender to make it fit. It works temporarily until yours arrives.