Ultimate Subaru Message Board

F'ing Online Parts Stores!

Got my axles in today for my loyale from rockauto.com, and without fail it didnt come with all the right hardware. So i'm down one axle nut, no cotter pins, luckily they remembered the spring pins. This car has to be back on the road by sunday. Can I get the nut at my local napa or autozone? would re-using one be unsafe? Do I need to replace the washer as well, or can I reuse those? Guess this is what I get for not checking the board for a reliable parts site first.

I have never gotten new nuts or washers with reman axles.. and only once did I get a new roll pin.

If the washers and nuts aren't trashed, theres no reason to not reuse them. Good luck trying to get new ones anywhere but the dealer. I tried a year or so ago and had no luck anywhere

As far as the cotter pin, autozone or home depot should have some the right size.

rockauto is notorious for showing multiple model parts for XT6's, i would not buy anything from them. they have great parts and i haven't heard anything bad from their customer service but i know from looking up XT6 parts, they'll definitely list parts that are not XT6 compatible even after i specifically select XT6 parts.

thepartsbin.com is AWESOME. they have yet to get a part wrong yet and i've ordered from them probably a dozen times. i highly recommend these guys for great prices and always the right parts. sometimes parts are cheaper locally, but for the most part almost all of their parts (for XT6 anyway) are cheaper than you'll find locally. rockauto will have some parts cheaper, but be sure you can verify the part number. thepartsbin is always right.

i've reused axle nuts and washers without incident. the subaru dealer will definitely have an axle nut for you. of course they may want 10 dollars for it, but they should have it. as you know it is not recommended to reuse axle nuts so i'm not suggesting you should do it. only that i've done it a couple times on my own vehicles for many miles without incident.

HA, I walked away from my computer and grab the two axles out of curiosity, hold them up to each other and they are completley different, one is slightly bigger than the other. It just figures, and then I get on to report this and of course grossgary's post says just that...my luck. Was really lookin forward to gettin her back on the road, now i get to deal with customer service, exactly what I needed. generally i wouldnt get refunded the 25 bucks i shelled out for shipping right? that blows, and i probably get to spend 25 more on shipping them back. damn.

HA, I walked away from my computer and grab the two axles out of curiosity, hold them up to each other and they are completley different, one is slightly bigger than the other. It just figures, and then I get on to report this and of course grossgary's post says just that...my luck. Was really lookin forward to gettin her back on the road, now i get to deal with customer service, exactly what I needed. generally i wouldnt get refunded the 25 bucks i shelled out for shipping right? that blows, and i probably get to spend 25 more on shipping them back. damn.

As long as they are both EA82 axles with the same spline count, you are good to go.. some are thicker than others beacuse of various drivetrain differences (4wd/2wd, auto/manual, Turbo/NA)

Mixing and matching is ok as long as the spline count is right

It's okay to re-use the axle nuts on our 'Ru's, (as long as the threads are good), as they are held in place by the cotter pin.

Not a good idea to re-use axle nuts on other makes of vehicles, as they are a "lock-nut", and designed for one-time use only.

I've bought 4 replacement axles over the time I've had the BRATs. Got new nut with a couple, but no roll-pin, or cotter pin ever. Replacement nuts can be purchased from your local parts store, along with the roll-pin, and cotter pin.

One otherthing you want to check on your "new axle" is the length of it to the old one. I had it happen to me once, they sold me an EA-82 axle instead of the EA-81 axle. Tad bit on the long side it was......