Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 Subaru XT6 questions

Got a few actually.

As of yesterday, just after an oil change. My car keeps dying on me, I have to regulate the gas with the pedal to keep her running, and that only works most of the time.

RPM idles at about half a grand, where it's normally right at a grand.

Of course, spark plugs are the first thing I'm doing.

But I don't know what the gap should be...

I realize they should be pre-gapped, but I want to make sure they're good.

What's the gap on plugs for an XT6?

Also, any other ideas as to what may be wrong?

Also, when I run the AC/heat, the fan konks out at 4, the highest level, any ideas?

Any help would be awesome. :)

might want to check out www.xt6.net there's a humongous wealth of knowledge there, and they have FSM's too... (I've got one at the house, at work now)

You rock.

Found the gap, along with some other usefull info.... like, why my power steering doesn't work. :( Apparently you HAVE to use Cybrid power steering fluid and CANNOT use regular. Glad I didn't buy a new pump and kill it too!

Can't find anything on why my AC Fan konks out or what else could be wrong with it.

yeah man.. those PS pumps.. . love/hate relationship there.. I just sold all the cybrid fluid I had unfortunetly, otherwise I'd hook a brother up

Not a problem... from what I understand the electric power steering pump for my car is rather expensive, so it'll be a while anyway. :)

And the reason you dont have a 4th speed on the fan is because the heater resistor block has a broken coil. It located under the heater fan, passenger side and has 3 screws holding it. Theres a harness connection on it also. You might be able to find a good one in a wrecking yard, or ask in the Marketplace here. Most 85 to 90 models work.

Fat

I am trying desperately to correlate and oil change and a engine idling problem.

You didn't mess with anything else?

The only answer I can come up with is somehow when removing the oil fill cap

you

a) dislodged a major vacuum line or

B) knocked off a spark plug wire, or

c) your PCV valve is after market

and you

left the oil fill cap loose (this may cause a loss of manifold vacuum)

On the heater blower "konk" out

I am sorry to disagree with Mr. Turbone.

The control circuit for the blower fan

bypasses the resistor block on high speed.

I believe you will find your blower switch is knackered.

McBrat just published a very good troubleshooting guide in

the repair manual.

with regards to the PS pump brushes, and some people here may disagree with me, but I have proven it to work fine....

to get the brushes all you need to do is go to a good electrical store, or an auto parts store that's not a chain store. I went to "Scanlon's Auto Parts" which is a kinda independent place that also sells napa stuff, and brought my old brushes.

the very helpful fella there took the brushes in the back, and came out with a set the exact same size, except I didn't know the length they needed to be.

took some medium length ones that were about 2-3 times longer than my worn down one, brought it home, and just had to file it a little to make it work, and the PS pump functions the same as with brand new subaru brushes which I've also used

Skip, your right about the switch. Didnt pay close enough attention to which speed it was working at.

About the PS pump. You might be able to flush out the old fluid and replace with the correct stuff. Considering how much it cost for fluid or replacing the pump, I would try this fix first.

The pump would cost me about $250.00 to replace, UNLESS I can pick one up at a junk yard for $15.00... I looked at a few junk yards, the XTs and XT6s they had were already stripped of the PS pump. If I flush it out and replace brushes/fluid.. then it doesn't fix it.. I have to buy the pump and more fluid again... I'm just worried about taking that chance and ending up having to replace the whole thing, you know? I'd hate to put money into PS than I need, I've been driving it somewhat fine w/o PS for over a year. lol :)