Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie question

Hi,

I am new to this board. I am looking for an inexpensive car to use for autocrossing and ice racing and a friend of mine has a couple Subarus for sale. One of them is an XT Turbo AWD and the other is either a GL or RX Turbo AWD (it was under a huge snowbank when I went to look). Anyway, what tips do you folks have when looking at these? He will sell me the pair for $500. He said the XT heats up when it is running. Is it likely to be a head gasket or something more serious? The other one has a problem with the rear axle. The bodies on both are good, no rust issues. Are the parts interchangeable from one to the other? Is one a better car than the other? My plan would be to drive one and use the other for parts if needed and if possible.

What do you think?

If you want a car to autocross, the RX is the car for you (if it IS an RX, that is). The full time 4WD Dual Range trans in it is perfect. Shifting into low range gives you an extra set of half-gears which is perfect for any racing with quick, tight turns and short bursts of acceleration.

Unless they are absolutely destroyed, $500 CDN is a great deal for the pair. Do it.

The cooling issue could be as serious as a head gasket or cracked head. Or it could be as simple as a crapped out electric fan, clogged radiator or stuck thermostat.

Any water in the oil? Oil in the water? Smoke signals from the tailpipe?

I would prefer to run the RX over the XT. If there are parts that are interchangeable, could I be lucky enough to be able to use the parts off the XT to fix the axle on the RX? Also, what are some good upgrade mods to give the car a bit more zip? I have a Saab 900 IC to use as a FMIC but what else would be good to do?

I stopped by the place where those cars are being stored and dug around a bit in the snow to have a look at the other car. It is a GL Turbo AWD just like the black one in this picture, except it is white. How is it different from the RX, other than looks? Is it still a good car?

1987-h.jpg

They offered five different transmissions in the turbo cars.

Manual:

Full time 4WD Dual Range 5 speed - Has no orange button on the shifter, and a second two-position "dual range" shifter behind the gearshift with a "diff lock" switch on the console. Offered only in the RX and very very few GL and GL-10 models. Rarer than hens' teeth in anything but an RX. Any RX has this trans, with the rare exception of some late model RX's with automatic transmissions.

Full time 4WD Single Range 5-speed- Car is 4WD, but has no "4WD" button. Some models will have a "diff lock" button or switch. Not an RX.

Part time 4WD Single Range 5-speed- Car runs in front wheel drive until the orange "4WD" button on the shifter is pressed. Very similar to the trans in 4WD DL wagons and Loyales. Not an RX.

Part time 4WD automatic- Three speed auto with a red button on the side of the shifter. Shifter is marked "P R N D 2 1." Not a good trans to have. Not an RX.

Full time 4WD automatic- Four speed auto with no red button on the shifter. Shifter is marked "P R N D 3 2" with a "1 hold" button on the shifter base. This one is pretty solid and was available in some late model RX's.

The key difference in the RX model is its transmission, as listed above. They also had beefier seats (also available in GL "RX clones") and a stiffer suspension. Contrary to popular belief, not all RX's had a full ground effects kit, though I've never seen one without a front skirt and wing. Many GL turbos also had the skirt and wing. All Full time 4WD RX's are white with gray trim, except for some rare 1989 models which were black with gold trim. In 1989 Subaru released some GL "RX clones" which had the RX transmission and interior, but were not baded as an RX nor had the proper vin. These were available in any color.

Hope this clears things up a little.