Ultimate Subaru Message Board

homemade suspension arms

quebechatch

Tired of replacing suspension arms? I am. go check out the ones that I made this weekend, they are in the latest pictures in the gallery right now.

I have been thinking about doing this myself. My shop-fabricated 3" lift makes the front tires a bit closer to the car at the bottom than at the top. (toe in?) Shorter or adjustable suspension arms would help things, but I don't know if my little welder would do the job. If you don't mind, I would like to hit you up for some specific questions:

What kind of welder did you use?

Did you use a shop-press to install the bushings?

Is a part available for where the ball joint is attached, or is that cut out of he factory suspension arm?

Any shop tips on fabricating one of these would be appreciated.

- James B

unless thats solid bar stock... looks like = or less strong than stock.

that is far stronger than stock. The stock suspension arm is made of stamped sheetmetal, open on the bottom, with a single brace spot welded on, and about an inch of weld holding the bushing race on.

Dimensional strength increases much more with diameter than with thickness. This piece is thicker than stock, has larger diamater tubing, and includes a triangle shape unlike stock which is just v shaped.

is that like 1/8 inch tubing for those, and how was the camber/caster/toe in affected, or are you just that good and copied it perfectly

My suspension arms are actually about 2'' longer than the originals(I use loyale cv shafts which are longer and lenghtened tie rods) camber is at 0 degree and the angle of the arms are not the same to give me about 1" more of wheelbase so the tires won't rub in cowl dash anymore. It might not work the same for everybody I have made me own lift kit its 4" subframe lift and 1" more to the suspension. the tubing is 1/8 inch.

I have been thinking about doing this myself. My shop-fabricated 3" lift makes the front tires a bit closer to the car at the bottom than at the top. (toe in?) Shorter or adjustable suspension arms would help things, but I don't know if my little welder would do the job. If you don't mind, I would like to hit you up for some specific questions:

What kind of welder did you use?

Did you use a shop-press to install the bushings?

Is a part available for where the ball joint is attached, or is that cut out of he factory suspension arm?

Any shop tips on fabricating one of these would be appreciated.

- James B

I used 250 amps miller mig welder

I have used a press for the bushings, but maybe a big C clamp would do the job.

I've used a plasma cutter to cut the ball joints holes from the original arms.

feel free to ask any other questions.