Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T + Turbo Lag = teh SUCK!

hey Brian

meant to reply to this sooner but have been really busy. as a previous owner of that car I can give you a few ideas.

first off I would not doubt that the motor is worn. it does not use a lot of oil but it came from a questionable background so who know what its been thru.

I checked the turbo while I had it and it too is worn just like the one that was on my wagon. both still made good boost but had a little shaft play and pass a bit of oil. my solution was to go with the TD04 as you know.

now I also know that car really liked the gutted down pipe better than the stock one. I still have that one saved for you but will be doing a big cleanout this summer.

also the IC would really help you out. that made a big change on the wagon originally.

dont mess with the cone air filter stuff. what I sent it with will do just fine.

I do have a spare motor in the process of reassembly. nothing crazy just a overhauled motor(that I really want to build with head studs). all I need to complete it is a gasket set (need head gaskets, intake, exhaust)

If you are interested in it let me know. mabey we can work out a deal for an inexpensive motor instead of resealing yours.

that car never did like clutch dump launches on pavement. but it liked it in the dirt where it could spin its wheels. I have pics if you are interested.;)

Im not here as much as I use to be but I can try to give you a hand.

Russ, thanks for the reply. I know how busy you are. I wont be needing that engine, but the downpipe is something im interested in. I already purchased a cone filter/adapter from ebay.... if it doesnt work out I can always put the box back on, but for $20 i figured "what the hell".

I remember you mentioning the turbo and the clutch as needing to be replaced, so I think im going to put my off-road subaru plans on hold and take alittle $$$ ive been saving, and just do it. I'll be planning an engine pull to re-seal the engine (just oil pan, valve cover gaskets... intake, exhaust gaskets etc) and while Im at it, i guess a new turbo and clutch are in order as well.

If I had more time off, i'd consider doing it all in San Jose... a job like this shouldnt take more than a day with a couple pro's... maybe kick down some pizza and drinks for everyone involved (got a few friends in San Jose as a matter of fact). But with 6 day work weeks, i dont see that happening anytime soon.

Lets see what this cone filter does, and i gotta track down my TPS to do some adjustments.

-Brian