Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T + Turbo Lag = teh SUCK!

no MINE'S a turb Brian. Its the biggest turd ever... well maybe thats because it has no motor:D just get a MBC and set your boost to about 9psi. Andrew did that in his turbowagon (well he put a couple holes in the wastegate line:rolleyes: ) and it made it more fun.

I dont want to be spending alot of $$$ right now, It has a straight pipe comming from the downpipe, and curves to a sidepipe which dumps right in front of my drivers side rear wheel. I think its 2.5", not sure. Im going to be getting a gutted DP from RallyRuss i believe, and that should help.

As far as the intake, i have a K&N with a gutted airbox, not sure how much better a cone will be.

I think the engine is just tired.

-Brian

Hmmm… my RX is bone stock and very tired (288,000miles) and the bottom end seems OK, I mean I know its not actually fast but it feels pretty good. There is a little delay right off launch, maybe a second or less, but I’ve got full boost before 3000rpm, I run it to about 6000 and the boost is right there after the shift. For spirited driving these engines should be kept between 3500rpm and red line. Maybe you are use to faster cars than me, or you have a boost problem? Try this, rolling slow in 4th or 5th (below 1500rpm), punch it, you should see positive pressure around 2000 (turbo light). Have you tried a launch in Lo range? In my car the boost comes in so soon you cant really feel it hit, almost feels slower lol.

Remember the RX isn’t about real performance, its about perceived performance, from the drivers seat it feels sporty, but the mom in the mini-van that just blew you off the stoplight just sees an old econobox with a guy wearing a silly grin behind the wheel.

Gary

BTW, technically the term “boost lag” refers to the delay in boost from off throttle to on throttle while above the minimum boost RPM (like after a redline shift), the stock RX is actually very good in this respect. Minimum boost RPM is something different and is really only an issue on launch in cars that lack the power to produce enough wheel spin to get on boost from the start.

Well, for one thing, it is not lag. It sounds like the turbo itself it bad. Remember these engine have low compression, and therefore have very little power without the aid of the boost from the turbo. I would suggest replacing the turbo before trying anything else.

Corky, im going to go with the cheapest parts 1st. The turbo hits boost around 2000rpm, but it just crawls to get up there. I know how turbo engines are built (with low compression) but it just irritates me.

Once its boosted, i like to keep it that way. Maybe after my intercooler goes in, i can then start playing with 9, 10, 11psi.

I still cant find that adapter that was on ebay, anyone remember what car it came off of.

-Brian

The MAF adapter that works is from an early 90's nissan sentra. I got one for a late 90's nissan accidently but it worked fine, just had to drill new mounting holes. The one for an early 90's nissan is "supposed to" bolt right on with some longer bolts. There is a few pictures in my gallery with the adapter + K&N that I used. There is however some people on the board who think it's worthless to go that route, because of the heat of the engine. I however noticed much improvement in the turbo, low end power, and most important I started getting 2-3 more mpg after I installed mine. Plus it makes the turbo and bov (if you have one) much louder which I like also.

Corky, im going to go with the cheapest parts 1st. The turbo hits boost around 2000rpm, but it just crawls to get up there. I know how turbo engines are built (with low compression) but it just irritates me.

Once its boosted, i like to keep it that way. Maybe after my intercooler goes in, i can then start playing with 9, 10, 11psi.

I still cant find that adapter that was on ebay, anyone remember what car it came off of.

-Brian

Brian, I'm not sure what you are talking about. I have had several EA82Ts, none of them crawled off the line and they were all bone stock. I'm telling you, if you want to listen, that there is something else wrong with your engine then the direction you are heading. I believe that you will spend more money on cheap fixes and not solve the problem then taking it to someone and have it checked out. I think part of the problem is that you are comparing the RX performance to the Turbo Legacy's performance, they are two different cars. That would be like me jumping into a Turbo Legacy after driving my JDM WRX powered Impreza and complaining about the lack of power. See if you can find someone close who has a RX or an EA82T powered car and that is happy with it's perfomance and see if they will let you drive, then compare that to your RX, that would be apples to apples.

Corky, maybe your right. There's a Subaru Shop up the hill in Newcastle where I should take it. The guy who runs the shop knows his subaru's, and turbo's. He has a few Legacys (how i met him, when i had mine) but I wonder if he could run some tests on the RX.

I wouldnt mind buying a turbo and replacing it when I do my clutch/engine re-seal. Only problem is the price. Maybe i'll start shopping now or something.

Today when I was at a light my car was alittle off-idle. It was bouncing around 500-700rpm but didnt hesitate when i revved it alittle. When the light turned green and I started to accelerate the engine didnt react until i was about 1/10 throttle..

When it finally started to go it bucked once but started to accelerate and off we went. Accleration was smooth with no hesitation and at the next light the car held steady at 1,000rpm like nothing had ever happend.

Im going to pull the filter and check some things. Maybe adjust the timing alittle.

-Brian

Corky, maybe your right. There's a Subaru Shop up the hill in Newcastle where I should take it. The guy who runs the shop knows his subaru's, and turbo's. He has a few Legacys (how i met him, when i had mine) but I wonder if he could run some tests on the RX.

I wouldnt mind buying a turbo and replacing it when I do my clutch/engine re-seal. Only problem is the price. Maybe i'll start shopping now or something.

Today when I was at a light my car was alittle off-idle. It was bouncing around 500-700rpm but didnt hesitate when i revved it alittle. When the light turned green and I started to accelerate the engine didnt react until i was about 1/10 throttle..

When it finally started to go it bucked once but started to accelerate and off we went. Accleration was smooth with no hesitation and at the next light the car held steady at 1,000rpm like nothing had ever happend.

Im going to pull the filter and check some things. Maybe adjust the timing alittle.

-Brian

Sounds TPS related

I agree on the tps, since I just had the exact same problem, which was fixed by adjusting that( I also cleaned the throttle body out) It was a once and a while kind of problem, sometimes the car would putt along like it was going to die and then suddenly take off, or I would have to clutch/gas it again. I messed with the tps and the car runs awesome now.

BTW this was too funny

Remember the RX isn’t about real performance, its about perceived performance, from the drivers seat it feels sporty, but the mom in the mini-van that just blew you off the stoplight just sees an old econobox with a guy wearing a silly grin behind the wheel.