Ultimate Subaru Message Board

flat pressure plate springs

ok, tranny is out AGAIN, found the problem but dont know whats causing it... tried a few pressure plates, when they are off the car they look normal, but when i bolt them down, the springs, the ones that the throwout bearing contacts, you know how they are usually angled away from the flywheel, well they straighten out and point dead center... WHY???????

what is the trouble with the clutch?

when you are bolting the pressure plate to the flywheel it is pinching the clutch disk in the middle. this pushes back on the pressue plate fingers on the inside and causing them to pull in like you explain is happening. I dont really see a problem with that as long as all components match and the flywheel is properly machined.

ok I just read up on the troubles you have been having.

well I am no expert on motor, trans, clutch, compatibility between EA81/82 motors and trannys.

it would seem to me that you are trying to use some parts that just are not compatible with each other.

did it run in this configuration before? if so what clutch parts were used then?

ok I just read up on the troubles you have been having.

well I am no expert on motor, trans, clutch, compatibility between EA81/82 motors and trannys.

it would seem to me that you are trying to use some parts that just are not compatible with each other.

did it run in this configuration before? if so what clutch parts were used then?

I'm using an ea82 flywheel, and ea82 clutch disc, and an ea82 pressure plate, I even took the flywheel off the engine, so it can't be the ea81/ea82 deal :\

pressue plate fingers on the inside and causing them to pull in like you explain is happening. I dont really see a problem with that .

its a big problem, the clutch can't engage because the fingers are pulled it to where they are straight, just like the pedal was pushed all the way down, but the tranny is not even on the engine

You need to torque the pressure plate bolts to some where in the 12-15 foot pound range. If you over tighten them, they will pull the fingers down just like your discribing. If you want the factory specs I will look them up today when I get home. Tim

Has the flywheel been machined or turned? To turn a Subaru flywheel the inner face where the clutch disk sets and the outer face where the presure plate bolts to, both have to be turned the same amount. Now it is possable that someone turned the outer face more than the inner, by mistake or maybe to try and get more gripping force out of the clutch. If you can Accurately Measure the distance between the inner and outer faces and post you findings. I have a stock ea82 flywheel I will measure and compare or if someone already has the correct distance in text. Just a thought.

Craven

you must be mixing ea81 and ea82 flywheels, and pressureplates!

its the only way. i've done it before myself, but never installed it to see what happened.

trust me, your pp is fatter than it should be, so it compresses the springs too much.

all of the clutch discs are the same thickness.

you can have your flywheel machined to fit the pp if you want, or get an ea81 flywheel.

a search should show how much different it is.

the cable isnt even on, the tranny if off right now and the fingers on the pressure plate are straight just like the throwout bearing was pushing against them

when I did my 5 speed conversion, it looked like that too, and I did have to adjust my cable a ways, but it's working fine now....

as far as mixing ea81 and ea82 parts I GUARANTEE I'm not, The flywheel came off an 85 wagon, so did the clutch disc and pressure plate, like I said, this happens even if its off the car, so that elimates the ea81 engine.

I must have tightened it too tight, I didnt know about the 15-20 ft lbs deal, I locked them up , but the weird thing is, Miles locked them up last time and we didnt have this problem, that time it was seized on the pilot bearing, but the clutch worked normally :\

the cable isnt even on, the tranny if off right now and the fingers on the pressure plate are straight just like the throwout bearing was pushing against them

as far as mixing ea81 and ea82 parts I GUARANTEE I'm not, The flywheel came off an 85 wagon, so did the clutch disc and pressure plate, like I said, this happens even if its off the car, so that elimates the ea81 engine.

I must have tightened it too tight, I didnt know about the 15-20 ft lbs deal, I locked them up , but the weird thing is, Miles locked them up last time and we didnt have this problem, that time it was seized on the pilot bearing, but the clutch worked normally :\

The pressure plate butts flat against the fly wheel, the torque setting is so you don't over stress the bolts, so that is not going to change a thing. I wish I could see this thing.

the clutch disc cant go in backwards, you wouldnt be able to even start the pressure plate bolts.... I'll have to get some batteries for my digital camera, but in the mean time... imagine the fingers on the pressure plate, when you are off the pedal, they point backward at an angle, when you push the pedal, the TO bearing pushes those fingers "flat" so they are all pointing toward the center intead of angled back.

When you release the clutch, obviously those fingers spring back to the angled position, these don't , they are permanently flat unless you unbolt the pressure plate. Its as though the disc is too thick and its pushing the ring on the PP back and pulling the fingers in, BUT, if you put a load on it, the clutch will turn, so it cant be the disc being too thick. this is the weirdest thing ever, I've never even HEARD of anything like this. like I have an invisible throwout bearing pushing on the back of the PP :P

@#$*(&@#$ Nissan clutch and pressure plate. I pulled them out of an ea82 I bought from a guy that told me it was the original equimpment... this is what I get for trusting
The clutch disk should work, if it's the same dia. and spline.

same diameter and spline count, but the center hub offset is different
As long as the center hub dosn't interfer with the flywheel or the P/P and rides on the imput shaft spines. It shouldn't make any differance. But since all the hair pulling crap you've been through, I'd go with the ea82 stuff. I was just thinking about your $ problem.

As long as the center hub dosn't interfer with the flywheel or the P/P and rides on the imput shaft spines. It shouldn't make any differance. But since all the hair pulling crap you've been through, I'd go with the ea82 stuff. I was just thinking about your $ problem.

the center hub on the nissan hits the flywheel and pushes the clutch back