Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much to pay for engine swap?

I've been thinking about this, and I've seen quite a few turbo'ed EA82s on ebay for sale by jdm. My search for a turbo coupe has proven somewhat fruitless, at least when the east coast is concerned. I was wondering if there is any merit in buying one of those engines for a paltry 700$ and having someone drop it into a random Subaru coupe, such as an RX, GL or even Loyale.

How much could be charged for this, and who would touch such a job?

D.I.Y....say if I live in an apartment or townhouse with several other people and a landlord who won't like having car parts strewn about the parking lot for a week (which is now, as well as will be the case).

Then it's kind of hard to attempt such a procedure, especially if you've never even dreamed of doing something like it before.

D.I.Y....say if I live in an apartment or townhouse with several other people and a landlord who won't like having car parts strewn about the parking lot for a week (which is now, as well as will be the case).

Then it's kind of hard to attempt such a procedure, especially if you've never even dreamed of doing something like it before.

I know what you mean man. When I lived in an apt. it was hell doing even simple repairs. Many a repair was done on the side of the street when the parking lot was full or in the lot quickly before the manager saw me and got on my case. Even when I started renting HALF of a garage from them... it had no power to it. I had to tap into the exteranl light's circut during the day when the lights were off and then I only had power at night when the lights were on.

McBrat's qoutes sound damn reasonable for a complete swap. I'm talking dropping off the car and an engine and driving it home. It's a lot of work so labor costs are gonna be high. Gotta do what ya gotta do; DIY is great but not always feasable.

Good luck! :drunk:

Are you talking about dropping a Turbo Motor into a non-Turbo car.....??

If so the cost will be higher still due to the fact that you need to transplant wiring harness and Everything related to the turbo motor....

If you are talking about dropping it into an exhisting Turbo car, then Swap cost should be somewhere between 250.00 to 500.00

One thing to concider when doing this , Buy one as cheap as possible, then do a Complete re-seal to it before install.....Replace T-belts, waterpump, and At least reseal oil pump...I try to replace them with new When ever possible....

These JDM motors have been sitting on a Boat or in a Warehouse Some where for a Min of 2-5 yrs, so all gaskets/seals are going to tend to leak as soon as you fire the thing up and start running it ......

All food for thought.......I do these Drop and Swaps regularly, and After the first few, I Found out as preventive Mainanence, it is best to have it fresh before you drop it the first time.....Then you aren't looking at more labor time 2-3 months down the road.....

Hope this helps, John

I understand the apartment dilema. I've been there and it sucks! Something I've done in the past is to rent a storage unit for a couple months and do the work in there. I used this scenario to pull, and rebuild, the engine in my BMW 2002. It was not ideal but it was dry (important here in the Pacific NW) and lit throughout the evening. Most self-storage places discourage this kind of work too so discretion is the order of the day (i.e. do the work with the garage door down and clean your mess when you're done). Anyway, it's just a thought.

Also, it sounds like you've never done a swap like this before. I encourage you to try anyway if you are able. Don't let your inexperience be the reason you don't do it. There are plenty of resources available to help , both here and elsewhere. Doing it is how you'll learn. As time wears on, all you learn will be invaluable in maintaining the car. You'll know how it goes together because you were the one who put it together. :)

Good luck!