Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant Leaks while start at cold weather

Hello All,

I have Subaru Outback 1997 2.5L engine with automatic transmission.

when i start the engine in cold weather (< -5c) I see small amount of coolant leaking from the front side of the engine, it's only small amount and it stops when engine get hot and never leak again while driving.

i dont knwo why is that......:confused: , is it normal

any clue......please advice....

Thanks

• 4 years later...

I have found a couple posts about this issue and have now run into it myself. The first time it got really cold here (< 15 F) a slight drip developed from the end of the top radiator hose where it connects to the engine block. It smelled in the car so I wanted it fixed. My mechanic had done the HGs (yep, I got bit) and agreed to look at this. I am not thinking they were related, but he did it anyway.

He replaced the clamps and refitted, but then a small leak developed on the other end where the hose connects to the radiator. He then replaced with a better GoodYear hose and double-clamped each end. No leaks at 25 F, but now at 2 F in the morning it drips and can occasionally be bad enough to leave a few drops on the driveway. This seems crazy! Is there a solution or does one just live with it?

Just reporting back...

New stock Subaru top radiator hose and double clamps on both ends. Three days so far and no leak whatsoever. BUT, temperatures have been near freezing or above the whole time, so no check in super-cold weather yet. Will report back when temperatures return to normal teens and twenties. Hoping we have it nipped, but I can't for the life of me figure out why the hose itself would be the culprit here. Called the local dealership and the fella said "no way it's the hose, shouldn't matter". Then of course he explained why it would cost hundreds of dollars to diagnose...