Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What makes it a GL?

Just wondering what the GL means. What are the differences? i see a bunch of subaru's with GL emblem's on them, but mine does not (82 wagon). I was told it's a GL, but i cant find anything that says GL on it. The origional owners manual says 1800 on the cover. I'm just trying to figure out the differences, thier all confusing... Thanks

pertty sure DL's are two head lighted subies and GL's are quad head lighted subies. I don't think it makes any difference to the engine or anything cos I have a quad head lighted subie ute and its still got the EA81.
wait the GLs are the ones with the halogen head lights and the DLs are the ones with the dual head lights on each side (2 square lights).

i have the 4 head lights... looking thru the manual, it has a few little differences, like the windshield wiper has an 'intermitent' option, and the display is a little different. I figure i have a gl according to the manual.
if you don't have an intermitent setting on your wiper switch and you have the four head lights then its a DL. but first do you have a passenger side rear view mirror?

wait the GLs are the ones with the halogen head lights and the DLs are the ones with the dual head lights on each side (2 square lights).

ummm......

its an '82 - EA71/EA81 body ...

so 4 headlights means GL - DL's had two sealed beams (one per side - no seperate high beam lights) - was not sure if intermittent wipe was even an option back then - as it has the option, it is definately a GL

i just did the carfax initial search on the vin. Here's the Results.

Year/Make/Model: 1982 SUBARU GL

Body Style: Station Wagon

Engine Type: 1.8L L4 2BBL

Does anyone know where i can find the subaru vin code breakdown (cant think of the exact term, but where you find the options and such via vin #)

looking thru the manual, the GL had the following

Oil Pressure Gauge (as opposed to a light)

Low Fuel Indicator Light

Tachometer

Voltemeter

Digital Clock (and adjustment knob)

Indicator Lights (beam, Brake fluid, stop lamp) ((these were seperate from the little car that shows the open doors)

The "telltale" (graphic moniter)" is slightly different, as the Indicator lights are seperate.

Int wiper setting

Center Driving Lamp (middle of grill, 4wd gl models) it has a cover that flips up.

Tilt Steering Wheel

Luggage Shelf (2dr hatchback GL)

Luggage Cover area (Station wagon)