Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WOOT! New stuff in the mail: IC install ver. 2.0

Ok... here it is. Intercool install version 2.0:

DSC00446.sized.jpg

I paid $40 for two Mandrel U Bends of 2 3/8" O.D. Stainless Steel. Then Cut them in half to make four 90 degree elbows.

I paid $39 for three 2 3/8 I.D. Silicone couplers, and used some spare pipe i had for the BPV bung.

All in all, everything went smoothly and without any problems. I cut the air baffler or whatever it is... hanging off my intake. I shortened it to make more room for my BPV and it helped alittle with the routing of my hoses.

Im going to take the pieces into my work, and have our head mechanic lay a bead of weld around the ends of the pipe, to help keep them from blowing apart. I'll also have him weld my intake so the BPV Bung doesnt leak.

This outa do better than the cheap rubber elbows and PVC i was using before.

-Brian

looking better.

I still se a rubber adaptor on the hot side of the IC. might not last verry long. you also need to consider the flex between the motor and IC.

welded lips wont be necessary untill you get boost up a good bit. some good silicone hose clamps usually hold well on moderate boost.

Yeah, im not too concerned about blowing a pipe off right now. It seems to be doing better than the prev setup, but the pipes are getting hot and i can tell the IC is heatsoaked :( I'm going to have to cut a hole in my hood ASAP.

I went to my work and had the BPV bung welded to the intake so its not leaking anymore. Looks 100x better than the duct tape I was using.

-Brian

As much as Stainless Steel likes to shrink and distort when welded I would do instead would be to take some 3/32 or maybe 1/8 diameter stainless welding rod and wrap it around one time then have the welder stitch it to the tube.

Looking really good. Make you a scoop out of styrofome that mimics the lines of the car. Make it look factory. (I've done this part three times, then went to FMIC) Cover in fiberglass. Work it out nice and smooth, paint, install. And if you don't have the time or anal retentiveness to get that specific, cut a hole.:)

Get some fresh air to that thing!

I'll get back with you after my trip to San Francisco about the pipe.

Good job,

Jay

Jay, if your going to be in San Fran, i can come deliver it to you.

I live 2 hours north in Sac.

A co-worker has a shop, hes a driver for a local race team. Me and him were brain storming some ideas for a scoop.

For now, i have installed 4 washers in the hood hinge, hope that lets the IC breathe alittle.

-Brian