Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ping Ping Ping

What can I do to get the '86 weber'd EA-82 to like regular gas. It pings like crazy if I don't use premium. I've retarded the timing, and cleaned the topend with a seafoam treatment. Still no love. What's next? Recurve the disty? Premium is getting expensive. Thanks.

Where is your timing set? Also check to see that the vacuum advance doesn't advance the timing too much. Lastly whose gas are you buying; in the Seattle area the off brands are notorious for selling lower octane.

What can I do to get the '86 weber'd EA-82 to like regular gas. It pings like crazy if I don't use premium. I've retarded the timing, and cleaned the topend with a seafoam treatment. Still no love. What's next? Recurve the disty? Premium is getting expensive. Thanks.

I've had the timing from 12 degrees BTDC to 4 BTDC. Didn't affect pinging so I'm running about 10 degrees right now. I'm buying gas at costco, it's the cheapest in the area. When I put the weber on all emissions stuff came off, including the EGR. I guess I'll try some different brands of fuel and see what happens before I start looking into recurving the disty.