Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 for $750 does that sound good

for the whole motor, complete car harness and ecu, no way. i got my motor for $400, ecu for $40, and car harness for $80, from ebay, and the board, no way would i pay over $600 for all that, just go to a U-Pull-It and bring stuff up to counter and ask what they want for all of it, if they give you outrageous number, leave the stuff right there and walk right the hell out of there, go somewhere else. try to get a motor that hasnt been sitting very long and was running when they took it out. no telling why that junkyard car was in the junkyard to begin with, if your willing to take the risk, go ahead, it might be okay, you just dont know for sure. that price also depends on supply/demand, not really a demand for the subaru 2.2 liter, the last production cars to use it were made before 2001. you might keep your eyes out for someone doing an EJ25 or EJ20 swap into an imprezza, could snag it for cheap, i got my motor from someone that put an SVX motor into a 2 door imprezza. good luck.

~Josh~

Depends on what gen 2.2 it is. At my work we have had the 90-94 for $400 and the 95+ for $700. I thought it was high at first, but we've had no trouble selling multiple engines at those prices.

But yes, you can do better. Just dig a little deeper and you'll be surprised what you can find.

There is a big difference in prices between Salem, Or. and Alburquerque, NM. A lot depends upon availability, here in the North West we are blessed with a lot of Subarus running around, that may not be the case in New Mexico. Heck in the Puget Sound area, at a Pull-A-Part, you could get the engine, tranny, wiring harness and the ECU for $400. Based upon availability, $750 may be a great deal. Don't let a one time chance slip through your fingers because someone hundres of miles away from you, in a different market, tells you what they can get one for. Ask around, see what other yards in your area would charge for the same setup, then make up you mind.