Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It was too good to be true.

The $200 GL-10 that "only needed a thermostat" apparently needs much more than I had initially thought. I bought a new battery, and tried to start her up for the first time in 3 years, but much to my dismay, she was entirely out of gas. Cranked over just fine though, and definitely wanted to start. I'll hunt down a gas can tomorrow and see what can be done.

I also took advantage of the shiny new battery, and did a compression test. It read 120-122 PSI in 3 cylinders, and 44 PSI in number 3. I need to find somewhere/someone to do a leak down test, but until then, I'm weighing my options. At this point, it's between 1) Sucking it up, doing a tune-up and driving it as-is, 2) Finding a junk yard engine whenever I get the cash, or 3) Saving up and having it CCR'ed. I'm leaning toward option number one, although I'm not sure if the car will pass smog.

This thread was more a rant than anything, but I'm curious as to what you guys would do in this situation. The car is so pretty, I just wish I could drive it already.

hey man all i'm telling you is be careful. what yo should do is run a carfax on it because i mentioned this last night on my thread about a Loyale that was kinda like that. first does it have the pink slip among the car's documents? if it doesn't then just leave it there and save your self from any possible trouble upon transferring it to your name. we almost did that and it was a good idea we just ditched the car.

Carfax is clean, the car is already mine and it's in really nice condition. I don't think I have anything to be careful of, I doubt the car will bite. ;) What I'd really like to do is "CCR" it myself (hey Emily, I made a new verb!), but I don't have the equipment readily available in my apartment parking lot, unfortunately.

Carfax is clean, the car is already mine and it's in really nice condition. I don't think I have anything to be careful of, I doubt the car will bite. ;) What I'd really like to do is "CCR" it myself (hey Emily, I made a new verb!), but I don't have the equipment readily available in my apartment parking lot, unfortunately.

Rebuilding soob motors does not take much in the way of specialized equipment. If you've got a basement or something, get a hone, spring compressor, and a few odd wrenches and stuff, and you're golden.

With that low of pressure the problem my be with the valves. Squirt some oil into the cylinder and see if the pressure changes much then. If it doesn't, then the valves will be the problem most likely and you just need to replace or repair the head.

I called up CCR this morning and talked to Rick and Emily. They suggested that it might be the rings siezed in the piston, and to try filling up on premium and driving the car around for 50-60 miles since it hasn't been driven in 3 years, then check the compression again. I already returned the compression tester to the friend who loaned it out to me, so I can't do a wet test right away, but I've pretty much decided to drive the car as is for the time being.

th

I called up CCR this morning and talked to Rick and Emily. They suggested that it might be the rings siezed in the piston, and to try filling up on premium and driving the car around for 50-60 miles since it hasn't been driven in 3 years, then check the compression again. I already returned the compression tester to the friend who loaned it out to me, so I can't do a wet test right away, but I've pretty much decided to drive the car as is for the time being.

Gotta love the Italian tune up :) Shot of Sea Faom in the crank case and gas tank can bust loose a froze ring also. I'd prolly drive it as is... since it's a $200 car and all ;)

Good luck!

about the filling on the premium and the 50-60 mile drive. drive it to manteca and back. that's about 130 miles. (at least i think it is).

alright cool. that's the way to go man. now just pimp it out and drive it. (pimp it until you have $$$).