Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for 4x4 subaru -recommendations???

Hi Everyone!

I am starting to dream of my next subaru -it will have to be a 4x4 with enough power to get me up those back roads to those secret fishing spots carrying a 12 foot boat, motor, a couple extra friends at 200 per person.

Question: what size boat is the subaru capable of carrying?

I prefer the old carbed subarus.....any recommendations and/or pics would be great thanks...:)

Bryan :grin:

If you want to haul that much, you will probably need to go with a turbo if you stay with old gen, or a legacy. (That is assuming you aren't planning on doing any mods.) I have put an equivalent amount of weight in mine (around 1500lbs - including people), and while it can pull it, it is not a fast ride. If you are thinking about driving over 100km/h and dealing with any hills with that kind of load, forget it!! The 80's soobs were designed to be economical and rugged, but not powerful. It could pull that load at about 45mph indefinately.

The width of the boat is the main concern as to how well it will fit on the roof racks - I have not towed with my car.

Otherwise, the dual-range 5-speed is a very nice setup, I have used both ranges on mine, and the torque in low range is amazing. You just can't take the 4WD on dry pavement.

a 4x4 with lo range would be better than a turbo without lo range, as gearing will play more in towning and hlls than horsepower.

as far as what you can tow, i have never towed a boat, but i have towd other subarus with my towbar and 88 sedan, 2wd at to 4wd 5spd conversion

towing another soob on the highway i can go 55 mph in 4th gear at about 35oo rpm, once on the highway it wuld carry 5th gear ok but the occasional downshift to 4th for hills

the nice thing about a dual range is you can take off in low thru 3rd then shift into hi. if this were to be tha case on pavement only, you could remove the rear half of the driveshaft to use lo range

5th gear lo is just a tad taller than 3rd gear hi

if you are talking about a john boat or aluminum vessel, you shouldnt have any problems, and all the 5th gear you want

if you can trailer the boat versus loading it on the roof, i would recommend towning as anything on the top will create a bunch of aerodynamic drag that will bog you down at highway speeds

if your looking at using a trailer then you can't just look at the hp... lots of power and torque is no good if you can't stop...

make sure your brakes can handle such loads... most people don't think about brakes when they tow stuff but its just as important(if not more) to stop then to go...

...lots of power and torque is no good if you can't stop...

make sure your brakes can handle such loads...

... and you can't stop if you don't out-mass what you are towing (unless your trailer has brakes).

There is an 85 Turbo wagon down here in the States for $200...

Buy an inflatable boat, and tell your friends to lose some weight.:grin:

lol....good one.....but my bro is 6'4" 250 and muscular....well me...... I would say.....lose lots of weight...lol.....

question: Have you ever been in the middle of a lake in march and heard that dreaded hissing sound and it wasn't a snake.....lol.....:lol:

... and you can't stop if you don't out-mass what you are towing (unless your trailer has brakes).

Out here in British Columbia Canada -every trailer hauling some weight has to have independant breaks..... I would imagine installing disk breaks all around on the subaru would also be in order too..... We have this one hill up to Beaver Lake which is a nastey one.....coming down gearing will not hold the vehicle and breaks have to be used.... Now that is a pretty mean smell..... One must also be aware of vehicles coming down behind you -smelling even worse.....trailing that special stench too...lol.

I must say 200 dollars -those are incredible prices -if they have a reasonable body and in running condition.......hopefully before next winter I will have something lined up....... that 85 turbo wagon sounds like the MacCoy for sure.....

At this time no one wants to be crossing the border buying vehicles these days.....lol.....might just end up with a truck full of parts...:)))

There are some great looking vehicles on this site that are just ultimate....snorkels even...lol....

if your looking at using a trailer then you can't just look at the hp... lots of power and torque is no good if you can't stop...

make sure your brakes can handle such loads... most people don't think about brakes when they tow stuff but its just as important(if not more) to stop then to go...

can't you just use the boats anchor to stop?:brow::lol:

subie94

can't you just use the boats anchor to stop?:brow::lol:

haha you just gotta make sure that the guy your hooking with the anchor can stop... leave the wee little civic alone and plow the anchor through a crappy ford truck or something... once the guy sees an anchor sticking outa his hook and you flailing your arms out the window of your soob yelling, "USE YOUR BRAKES!" he is bound to stop...

if you are dead set on using a suby to tow my recommendation would be fuel injected dual range, for a good trade-off between power, reliability, and gearing. I wouldnt want a turbo car unless the tranny is swapped out for a dual range tranny with 3.9:1 final drive. On the other hand a turbo car will have rear discs. The drums on the dl/gl cars are patheticly small, I can hardly get mine to lock up in the gravel with my 31s. Rear discs are far far better.

The drums on the dl/gl cars are patheticly small, I can hardly get mine to lock up in the gravel with my 31s. Rear discs are far far better.

they should not be the first to lock up anyway if the brake system is functioning properly - the fronts should lock up first - that is the purpose of the porportioning valve - anyway, they are the same size/bigger than the ones on my dad's '96 Dodge Caravan

that said, rear discs are a nice advantage to turbo cars - however it is an easy swap, so I think the FI D/R 4WD is still your best bet for reliability and gearing - note - all 1985 Subaru Turbo Wagons came with an automatic transmission - that is not the best for towing or heavy loads

Depending on your Likes in Body styly.....

My 2 favorites are

85-92 Turbo or SPFI with 5 speed Hi-Lo swapped in, 3 inch Lift, and 27" tires......Tow package with Trailer brake switch, and or Roof-Rack......

Second and Better Choice...

First Gen Legacy, Lifted 3" or Better, With 5 speed Hi-lo and LSD swapped in So you get the 2.2 motor, MPFI , Hi-Lo tranny for pull and Hills, disc brakes Stock, and A bit more cargo Room....plus a Tow Package as well....???

This would Be a Camping/Fishing Dream machine...:)

later, John

P.S. I know a Guy who can make dreams Happen..... :D:slobber::D

he he he... John is such a salesman...

he gives you the option of something fairly cheap then then goes, "OR you can get...!"

its obvious now that you have to get the legacy... then give John a pile of money and two weeks... and you'll have your "dream"...

good work john!

If you want to haul that much, you will probably need to go with a turbo if you stay with old gen, or a legacy. (That is assuming you aren't planning on doing any mods.) I have put an equivalent amount of weight in mine (around 1500lbs - including people), and while it can pull it, it is not a fast ride. If you are thinking about driving over 100km/h and dealing with any hills with that kind of load, forget it!! The 80's soobs were designed to be economical and rugged, but not powerful. It could pull that load at about 45mph indefinately.

The width of the boat is the main concern as to how well it will fit on the roof racks - I have not towed with my car.

Otherwise, the dual-range 5-speed is a very nice setup, I have used both ranges on mine, and the torque in low range is amazing. You just can't take the 4WD on dry pavement.

With me speed is not all that important if it is 45-50 for 45 minutes on the highway then so be it....... gas mileage is important as premium is over a $1.05/l up here.....if I can safe 5 bucks a trip there is the bait/tackle....lol.

My problem as everyone says is the braking....coming down the hill and also making it up the hills.....everyone must know we have ski hills and some pretty mean logging roads around here......I might have to resort to trailering the boat with brakes.

Also to note the hill I want to go up is very steep and is pavement so that sort illiminates the 4x4 low doesn't it???

Wow all you guys are hammering all this great stuff.....:slobber: but I am not use to all this subaru terminology with the next gen cars.....yes I will research.....

So within the year I should have a good upgrade from my 1985 subaru gl wagon....good on gas but no power to do the job..... 205,000.....and will not invest anymore in the girl.... as I say it gets washed whenever it rains....and once a year whether it likes it or not.....lol.....

so anyone else have any simple ideas that could work.......