Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lift Kit Rattles...

RainbowRoo

I'd say look for the shiny spot where it might be rubbing. Beat it back a little, paint over it and wait to see if it gets shiny again.

Make sure everyting is tight back there.

Hit moving parts with a little bit of spray lubricant.

It is more of a metalic squeek...sounds like it is coming from the body. I have check the torque, on the bolts since installation. And if you kick the side of the tire, it will cause it too, squeek too. During install, I took loose the bottom of the shock/strut. And it was preloaded out about 4 inches.

And yes, this is a PK lift. 3 in. It is just annoying as all get out.....

I want to get new springs and struts in the rear, but not till I know what it making this noise.

During install, I took loose the bottom of the shock/strut. And it was preloaded out about 4 inches.

You've got the bent-style rear strut spacers, don't you? They need to be swapped out for the straight-style ones. I had EXACTLY the same issue last summer when I installed my lift. The struts bind up and cause the noise you are talking about. The ride was also VERY stiff.

RainbowRoo (William),

If your rear horseshoes look like this (side view):

|

|

. \

. . \

then it sounds like you need the other version that looks like this:

|

|

. \

. |

. |

PM me with your addy and phone, and I will exchange those.

R/ Patrick (PK) (p.s. good confirmation, Kelly, thanks)

{geez, how do you type spacing in?}

I used the impact gun and lots of washers.. and after that, i used a breaker bar and a 2' long 1/2" drive extension (to get leverage outside of the fender) and I cranked down on those top bolts..

all the squeaking/ratteling stopped :rolleyes::brow:

but, i figured i would never remove them again :lol:

Austin

04 Suzuki DL650 Vstrom

94 Impreza L 5spdAWD Wagon - Offroad modded!

87 GL Brat - *****for sale, ready for sale at WCSS7?*****

64 Austin Healy Sprite MkII roadster (my first car!)

Austin, How do you like your V-strom 650?

The Vstrom 1000 was too much bike for me, but the 650.... well?

Ok, If you kick the Tire, You can make the Noise....???

I would Look at your Bottom Strut Bolt.....Holds the Strut to the swing arm.....Sounds to me as if the Bushing in the Strut is Done, and Bolt and housing are metal on metal....???

Very typical if you shove a Lift onto old struts....You change the angle they rest and Work at, and things Give out.....

Let us know.....John

Yes, you may very well be right. But it would have been a progessive, problem. So getting the right horse shoe (lift bracket) should take care of the preload.

It did not start out doing it when I kicked the tire. It has been getting worse over time, started with a little noise, and now a whole lot, resulting in, now when I kick the tire it does it, did not make that noise before.

So, with the correct bracket, I will be able to replace the shock/struts and that should take care of it, the later part of the racket.:)