Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lots of hesitation, almost not drivable

Ok after a successfull wheel bearing transfer and almost 50 mile drive home I actually thought to myself, "This thing is really running good". Well that didn't last long. On my way to work this morning I right away noticed some hesitation but didn't think much of it. A couple miles later I noticed that everytime I accelerated the car it would start out choppy like it was missing or not getting fuel then level out a bit with more rpms and then when I get ready to "cruise" hold the rpms pretty low it really hesitates, the car shakes back a forth and has not guts. I also noticed it would do the same thing while parked in neutral at about 2500 it cuts out and hesitates. I did fill up with fuel before the trip out yesterday could this be bad fuel, fuel injectors? Some insight would be very helpfull. 91' loyale 4wd manual. 185,000 miles

try pulling the engine codes, with spfi its easy to narrow down a faulty component. you may have a buggy throttle position sensor, sometimes clocking it will fix any tps issues. try the codes per the article in usrm> miscellaneous and report back

yeah I'll give it a try tomorrow sometime, really strang how I got one thing fixed and then something totally random and out of nowhere come along... crazy, I did at one point have some very sparatic idle then the engine light came on and read a bad tps, could this also cause what my symptoms are?

I agree on the throttle postition sensor. I had to clock mine again today(having similar sputtering out problems). I replaced the coolant temp sensor, but it didn't make any difference, so I readjusted the tps, and the idle speed accordingly. ...And then I remembered how fast my car actually goes.

Some of you may remember when My damned bolt that holds my rotor onto my distibutor came loose, well it happened again, and I should have known. So yeah I got a larger screw and forced it in, should work now. I did get my filter changed which besided the 23 bones was a good thing.. thanks for all the help Josh

Some of you may remember when My damned bolt that holds my rotor onto my distibutor came loose, well it happened again, and I should have known. So yeah I got a larger screw and forced it in, should work now. I did get my filter changed which besided the 23 bones was a good thing.. thanks for all the help Josh

After that happening to me several times, I now use liberal amounts of loctite on that screw. I also had to re-tap it to a larger size.

I think when I get back from guiding this summer I'll retap to larger size, this time I just got a bigger metal screw and forced it in, between that and permenant loctite i should be sitting good for awhile. Otherwise suby is running stronger than It ever has. Thanks everyone for the time!!! Josh

• 4 months later...