Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 gl bearings

So I'm having trouble with my '82 gl wheel bearings. I've had it diagnosed in several shops, and they all tell me that I need to replace them. I have the replacement parts, but I'm a little bit concerned with the project that I'm getting myself into. Does anyone have any tips on how to go about doing this project? Anything that will make my life easier would be appreciated.

Don't be scared - wheel bearings only occasionaly bite, and only when provoked. The tools you will need are:

Ring/open end spanners or socket set (10, 12, 14, 17 & 32??mm).

Short Piece of 4x2 timber

hammer

pin punch for inner cv pin

Do a search and you will find many threads outlining the best way to do this - same method for your car as all ea81 and ea82 cars.

The first time you do it it may take a whole afternoon, once you know what you're doing its much faster.

Good luck, and have fun.

after reading several threads about this, i'm curious. Should I use the set of bearings off of a junkyard car, or would I be better off going to the store and getting new bearings and seals?

What do I need to buy if I'm going to the store? Whats this about inner/outer and the seals?

Get new ones, they are cheap anyway.

You just need the two bearings and two seals per side. The inner and outer seals are the same.

Your car is not an ea82. It could be an ea81 or ea71, is it 4wd? If it is its an ea81.