Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what's this...??

Timing access plug is the rubber part. Toss it.

I was told by Eli that keeps stuff out and that it's really not important. I'm new to this whole working on cars thing, if it's not that important, why is it there in the first place? And obviously it has a purpose..to keep stuff out, why toss it?? I'm just curious.

~*~jess~*~

Seems I recall a fellow board member posting a question on how to retrieve a wrench dropped down that hole .....

It does have a purpose, as most other things on the car - while not critical it can save you headaches when gravity is at its best

Jessica, you need to get your own screen name so you dont make eli sound like a doof :-p

Brian

You know, I came up with this name, and calling my Eli a doof.... this coming from someone who had a "4-cylinder v8" in his Subaru. Oh yes, Eli talks about you:-p Besides B-Roo, i sign my posts. See?

~*~jessica~*~.. and my question wasn't really answered

and my question wasn't really answered

the flywheel :D

the rubber piece covers it to keep crap like wrenches out if someone drops one, among other stuff - it is also the hole used to set timing on the engine - TDC and all other markings are on it, and you point a timing light at it to make adjustments

yep! it keeps things out... like wrenches, bolts, fingers, small animals

the metal objects that could fit down there could cause big problems if they get stuck in there.. like if a wrench gets lodged in there at the wrong spot.. your engine may have problems spinning! :eek:

if it stays on there, keep it on there till you need it off! if its crusty and likes to pop off on its own, then dont worry about keeping it

I was told by Eli that keeps stuff out and that it's really not important. I'm new to this whole working on cars thing, if it's not that important, why is it there in the first place? And obviously it has a purpose..to keep stuff out, why toss it?? I'm just curious.

~*~jess~*~

You guys are mean, and i was talking about the rubber part...hmpf. (edit)Didn't see Ratty's yet, thanx, glad to see SOMEONE here is helpful to a girl.

ALL THIS EDITTING, i'm getting grumpy. There should be a chat option *sigh*. Eli explained what the Flywheel does and everything, he just left out the part about the rubber....since they're, uh, not necessary in all situations:grin: :banana:

~*~jess AND Eli~*~

why toss it if it isn't doing any harm?

Jordan

Because it is extra weight you dont need DUH

I am always worried about getting mud and water in my little fly wheel thingy that spins and such like that

"you know if you think about it mud is just dirt and water mixxed" - Bart Simpson