Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Severe front end grinding

Recntly my ea81 has developed an intense grinding noise coming from my front right side whenever I depress the brake pedal. I don't even know how to describe it other than it fills the entire car with grinding noise, and I can feel the scraping in my feet throught the floor.

It doesn't do it all the time, only after I've been driving for a little bit, and it doesn't do it when I "slow down", it only does it when I am going slow and coming to a stop. I just redid my bearings on that side and I'm wondering if there was something I put together wrong.

I get out and nothing is hot, and it doesn't smell like grinding brakes or anything, so I'm a bit confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm sorry, I meant front left side!

Recntly my ea81 has developed an intense grinding noise coming from my front right side whenever I depress the brake pedal. I don't even know how to describe it other than it fills the entire car with grinding noise, and I can feel the scraping in my feet throught the floor.

It doesn't do it all the time, only after I've been driving for a little bit, and it doesn't do it when I "slow down", it only does it when I am going slow and coming to a stop. I just redid my bearings on that side and I'm wondering if there was something I put together wrong.

I get out and nothing is hot, and it doesn't smell like grinding brakes or anything, so I'm a bit confused.

I'm going to watch this thread closely cause mine doing the same thing (though maybe not as severe) Also have new wheel bearings. Pads were good when I did the bearings, only 400 miles ago. I'm thinking maybe we've got crap (sand? gravel?) between the pad and the rotor.

I'll mention that my rotors were kida rusty when I was in there, and I didn't clean 'em up all that good. That might have been an oops.

bet were gonna have to tear down the noisy side to find the problem. Dang.

Pyro

I was thinking something similar, but at the same time I don't think it could be that because mine has developed from just a squeaky brake, to this rumbling of the front end when I stop.

I'm gonna pull it apart on Saturday and see what I can find, but any pointers on what to look for would be appreciated.

I'm going to watch this thread closely cause mine doing the same thing (though maybe not as severe) Also have new wheel bearings. Pads were good when I did the bearings, only 400 miles ago. I'm thinking maybe we've got crap (sand? gravel?) between the pad and the rotor.

I'll mention that my rotors were kida rusty when I was in there, and I didn't clean 'em up all that good. That might have been an oops.

bet were gonna have to tear down the noisy side to find the problem. Dang.

Pyro

I'll be sure to try that tomorrow morning, but I have another question. On the other side, something is constantly squeaking when the wheels are spinning. When I stop the car, the lug nuts and wheel are VERY hot. I thougt bearings, but no play whatsoever. Any thoughts? I was thinking the castle nut was too tight as per what my dad said, but after reading that thread you sent I have changed my mind... any thoughts?

Wow, this sounds so familiar its scary. Check this thread

Heh.. short story, check that castle nut. ;)

I vote for a loose castle nut also.

There wasnt any play in mine either.. but thats what it was. I cant explain it, and apparently nor could anybody else, so my old thread dropped into the "pit". The torque spec on that thar nut is 145ft-lbs.. so that means it takes quite a bit of beef to get it just right. Snugging it up again about a week later doesnt hurt either. :D

Naah.. I wouldnt believe so. However, anythings possible.

The braking on these models is crappy by design, so it does take quite a bit to stop. On my Brat, the left front (ironically the same one you've got the issue with) does wear down/out faster than the right front. Why, I do not know. Sounds the same as you described tho.

Go on ahead and check its tightness, as it's easier to snug those axle nuts than it is to pull off the wheel. :drunk:

Another thing to check,

If you tighten the castle nut, and that doesn't fix it, take the hub off and check the splines. They should each have about a 0.040" wide flat top. If they're pointed and sharp, it could be part of your problem. If the splines are pointed, eventually you'll have a stripped hub, which will require 4wd to get home.

I had to replace the front left hub on my 88 GL since it would start grinding if the castle nut backed off hardly any at all (enough to snug up the cotter pin, where it was 'loose' in the hole before). Replaced the hub, and it's been fine ever since.

I figured that too, but then I jacked it up, took the wheel off, and everything spun just fine. But I KNOW something is wrong, and it sounded to me like a stuck caliper also.

Is there a way to "loosen" the caliper?

The slimeball at the local shop said that my parking brake cable going to that side is too tight (he's the douche that put it in in the first place)... Is there anyway to loosen up that cable as to keep it from dragging?

Any other thoughts?

excessive brake pad wear, hot lug nuts/wheel on one side..

are the brake pads on that side worm out more than the other side? if so you prolly got a stuck caliper

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone ever needs this info again, I finally got my torque wrench out a few days ago, tightened the castle nut on the outside of the hub up to 150 ft. lbs. and the noise on both sides is gone! So the moral of the story is, make sure you put everything back together the way it came.

Thanks for everyone's help!