Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok, who does brake jobs in the seattle area?

well, there's an awful lot grinding going on when the brake pedal is pressed...in fact, when its been sitting over night and i take it to go to work, the first few stops sends a sound right through my spinal cord..heck, its worse then the sound of my ex-wife! :) anyway, dont have jack stands or floor jack and dont trust midas, scwab etc...and would like a decent brake job done...anyone in the seattle area?

Call Pat at Beacon Auto over on Shilshole Ave, across the street from the Yankee Diner in Ballard.

I just had him do the valve cover gaskets on my 91 Loyale 4x4 Auto trans. he was recomended to me by TWO different people, a friend who she only drives Soobs and a guy i work with who says Pat is great and is onto Soobs as a hobby as well as Datsun 510s. He was super kool and did the job quickly.

later,

todd

Do it your self.

Rotors can be purchased almost as cheap as you can turn them.

If a caliper is hanging up replace it.

Use your angle grinder key to spin the pistons in...

and call it good.

I've done it w/o real tools before.

Just another opinion...

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Alan, I can help you if you need it. Still got a box or two of jackstands. Brakes aren't that big of a deal as long as you use common sense. New rotors often do cost less than turning, I have never had caliper problems, and the pads are pretty easy to replace.

well, got off early from work again :( decided to stop by scwab and they said the pads were fine but the rotors are toast...all glazed....so, i guess its jy time for rotors or just buy new...and then will do a rear disc brake conversion later..

just to let people know, i WOULD do it myself if i had the skills/tooks/knowledge to do it...i dont, so am willing to pay someone to do it, some of us have zip mechanical apptitude and i am real close to that...i don't really like announcing that to the whole world but its true....so take it easy on me a bit :D

well, got off early from work again :( decided to stop by scwab and they said the pads were fine but the rotors are toast...all glazed....so, i guess its jy time for rotors or just buy new...

Glazed?!?! What kind of cra... er, nonsense is that? Rotors can get glazed, but I wouldn't expect that it would make a grinding noise. if the rotors are just glazed you can sand off the offending crud. If they are hot-spotted, they can be turned (as long as they are still within spec). A sudden onset of grinding noise while the pads look fine does not sound quite right. I like Schwabs (at least for tire service), but this makes me wonder.

Schucks has rotors for as low as $16 each. Haven't checked NAPA yet, but should be equivalent.

My offer still stands. It would take me far longer to drive over than for the job to get done. I'm still hoping to be out in your side of the water this weekend.