Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suspension Bushing Removal....

How it the *&%^ do suspension bushing come out? I'm trying to remove front control arm bushings so I can make some Delrin replacements. I can't for the life of me get the damn things out. I about killed myself with a 2 jaw puller and my impact wrench last night.

I know some of you have just put Super-Pro bushings in, how did you get your old ones out???

does the rubber come out or is the steel sleeve fixed to the rubber?

thanks

garner

Yep, I'm getting close to torch time.....

The gear puller thing was getting no where. I'd crank it in further and further until, BOING!!!!gear puller flies of as the rubber rebounds.....

There must be a "right" way to do it. Then again you'd only really want to change them when they're trashed....

garner

I'm curious about this too. I know the replacements are rubber in a steel sleeve.

So, the the steel sleeve should come out too then?...I've never seen an oem replacement bushing....

I'll try to turn a piece of pipe on the lathe and see if I can press out the sleeve and the rubber....

garner

Another torch vote!

I believe the rubber is vulcanized on to the metal and well...

You must fight fire with fire?

Never been able to get them out any other way...

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

the EA81 front control arm busihngs are in a steel sleeve.

I drill the rubber out. Then you can deside on how to get the sleeve out later...have not had to cross that path.

Ive pressed ONE EA82 control arm bushing out...never again....I will drill the rest out from now on

WJM has drilled out many bushings with much sucess.

the EA81 front control arm busihngs are in a steel sleeve.

I drill the rubber out. Then you can deside on how to get the sleeve out later...have not had to cross that path.

Ive pressed ONE EA82 control arm bushing out...never again....I will drill the rest out from now on

WJM has drilled out many bushings with much sucess.

I'll try the drill out method, I assume you are talking hole saw?

WJM, did your super-pro bushings fit inside the steel sleeve?

garner

Mine pressed out just fine. IIRC, I used a deep socket to push against the bushing.

The problem I had was trying to press EA81 bushings into the EA82 control arms... the problem being that i didn't know that they were EA81 bushings! !@#@$% CSK!!!