Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Soob Doctors, Help please!!

Hiya, I'm hoping you all can help me diagnos a problem. My '91 Loyale SPFI MT has a miss. I know I've got one cylinder that's got a problem, but I'm hoping I can get some help narrowing it down. It runs good and isn't loosing any coolant. Uses and looses about 1 qt of oil in 300 - 500 miles. Smokes now and then, especially when I back off the throttle and then get back on it. Especially noticeable at low RPM and under load. Blue smoke. I think it's either a lot of oil leaking past the rings in that cylinder or valve guides. Am I missing something? Anyone have some advice or better diagnosis.

Thanks in advance, Stretch

I just started driving this car after it had sat for about 18 months. It had this problem before I quit driving it and I had changed some of the suggested components, but unfortunately, I don't recall which. I know I replaced the plugs and I think the wires (they aren't OEM). I tried soaking the PCV valve in gas for a while to see if that made a difference. Didn't seem to. I think I'll try a new cap, rotor and PCV valve and see what happens. Oh, if I recall correctly it's the #3 cylinder.

Boxer engines do not respond to a

"wet comp. test"

oil lays basically on the bottom of the cyl

inline and "V" engines - yes

horizontally opposed - no

This sounds like valve seals

but a new OEM - not after market - PVC valve

should be tried first

Hey Skip---Good to hear from you.

The very difficult trick in wet compression testing a boxer engine is to direct a small amount of heavy oil right to the upper surface of the cylinder wall. A few strokes of the piston and gravity will spread it enough to create a seal on ailing rings.:)