Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Windows - Where to start: Loyale

This should be simple, but I don't know where to begin. I have this 92 Loyale, a high mileage job that I'm trying to bring back to life. It's got electric locks and windows, whch I'd rather do without, but I'm stuck with them now.

When I got the car, the only window that worked with the driver door switch was the driver door window. Fine. Also, not only does the door lock switch not do anything, but it strangely doesn't offer any resistance ( I'm talking physical not electrical). It just sort of flops up and down, doesn't really feel like a lock switch should - almost like it's not connected to anything (I haven't taken the panels off yet...just looking for a better plan before beginning).

So, I understand that there's this relay under the passenger seat, which may be the cause of all of this. But what I didn't get from my search here on the forum, is what am I looking for...? Should I be testing resistance? Should I just replace the switch? Is there a common problem with these things?

Advice...please...lay on the advice...

(I haven't taken the panels off yet...just looking for a better plan before beginning).

So, I understand that there's this relay under the passenger seat, which may be the cause of all of this. But what I didn't get from my search here on the forum, is what am I looking for...? Should I be testing resistance? Should I just replace the switch? Is there a common problem with these things?

Hey b...bus----Taking panels off is a good place to start. There are many causes of window problems but I like checking resistance of switches first. Are the windows operating O.K. off the switches at each door? If so then check out the main panel of switches on the driver's door. Sometimes just cleaning off corrosion in a switch makes it work like new.:)

If you really don't want the power accesories then look at a local junkyard and find a 85-86 without them.

The switches are a real pain in the butt and I have had to pull most of the ones that have been in cars that I have gotten apart and clean them.

If you would be willing to travel I have a set of all 4 doors for a white wagon without the power stuff that you could have cheap! ($10 each). It would be alot more if I had to figure out a way to ship them....

Hush